Problem with keyboard shortcut

I have problem with keyboard shortcut in Paint.NET. To write polish letter "ł" I usually press "Alt + Ctrl + l", but in program this is shortcut for Auto-level, so It's impossible. What can I do? Is there any other help for me than copying letter ł from other places or just drawing line across letter l?

Please help!

Maybe you should consider configuration of shortcuts in proper menu... ?

Get the letter in your clipboard by copying it, whenever you want to use it, press Ctrl+V. Sadly, there appears to be no other shortcut that I can find (i.e. Alt+123).

Copy and Paste method doesn't makes me fun, but Alt + 139 (ł) and Alt + 157 (Ł) works fine. Thanks for reminding.

But... is there really no other way to switch off Alt + Ctrl + L key shortcut?

Rick doesn't want there to be too many options to confuse new users. This is not an accident; if you're any good at coding, you may want to download the source and compile it without that particular shortcut included.

Hope this helps.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Rick doesn't want there to be too many options to confuse new users.

That's quite good thinking. My first contact with program was very good thanks to it... but It is a problem for many polish users. I can see some options (suggestion only): you could set same parameter to switch that particular shortcut off, you may too include some text file to change it, or include other options menu after some other parameter. I trust that you know what you're doing. They are just ideas.

if you're any good at coding, you may want to download the source and compile it without that particular shortcut included.

Hope this helps.

I'm not good in coding, but I'll try. Maybe I'll learn something new. :)

Thanks, Swordfish.

I just want to qualify: I am not a coder. I'm not a developer for Paint.NET at all; I am just knowledgeable about the program and love to help people who have problems. The reason I say you should try to just recode the program is that I don't think Rick has any interest in adding too many functions like this. The overwhelming plurality of the Paint.NET user base lives in an English-speaking area; adding additional features like that for every keyboard shortcut for every special character in every other language would be a very difficult task that would only affect a small percentage of the users. I just don't think it would be an effective use of Rick's time (and I think he'd agree), especially since I think the bulk of his Paint.NET work is focused on versions 3.20 and 4.0.

Hope you don't think I was blowing you off :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Hope you don't think I was blowing you off :-)

No :) of course not! I'm very thankful for your help... just trying to find some solution. I just want to say that Rick would consider to give more flexibility of using program for non-english language users. By giving user opportunity to change keyboard shortcuts he could solve all similar problems...

Ok... I suppose topic is finished, and there are no more things to say. Thanks again for your help. I'll be wandering around...

I think this could be solved if those creating localized versions of Paint.NET had the ability to alter the shortcut keys, as well. As of yet, they do not.

Rick: Is that capability something that could be implemented for 3.20 or 4.0?

Glad to help! :-)

Ordinarily. Keep in mind, he has a full time job, and it isn't Paint.NET. :-) He's usually on in the evenings, from my experience - which (let's see, it's probably about lunchtime in Redmond, so...) should be in a few hours. You could post this in the General Discussion and Questions forum as a Feature Request if you like; that way he views it as a new thread, and not as something that has already been addressed.

• 7 months later...