Tell me about layering....

Attempting my first use of layers. I've noticed in all the tutorials that each time a layer is added a box appears showing what is in the layer.

I have my image opened and hit "add a layer"...no little box appears on the work surface and I don't see that a layer had been added. Unless it's not suppose to be visible.

Are those boxes showing each layer suppose to be on the work surface and any ideas on why they aren't or being a newbie am I attempting layering wrong?

I searched for a tutorial on how to use layers but didn't find one. If there is one could you direct me to it.

Thanks so much.

There is no box that appears when you add a new layer. The box, or dialog, you are most likely seeing is a specific layer's properties. The properties of a layer can be accessed by double clicking on a layer inside the Layers Window.

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

The box I was speaking of is the History box. I finally found out how to get that on the work surface.

One more question that I can't seem to find the answer for. Be gentle...I'm new to this and pretty much of a program dolt.

In a few of the tuts that use layers, I've read now move the layers and go back to (example) layer two. I tried moving a layer and after hitting I think every button on the toolbar gave up, as they didn't move.

Probably right in my face but I haven't found where you find that.

Thanks

Ok....I've the tut on Layers and Blending.

I have yet to see in there how to move layers.

Ben_R_R shows a arrow on his history. Mine has no up or down. Just undo all, undo (a step backwards), redo (step forward) and redo all (fast forward).

Help please.

Ben_R_R shows a arrow on his history. Mine has no up or down. Just undo all, undo (a step backwards), redo (step forward) and redo all (fast forward).

Sounds like you may be confusing the Layers window (what Ben_R_R's screenshot shows) and the History window.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Your right I was confusing the two.

Right after I posted the question I found the answer. Never fails.

God you people must go insane with newbie question. Especially stupid ones. lol.

Thanks

We don't go insane, we need them to feed our fragile egos. :wink:

But seriously, Happy to help. :D