Clone Stamp stopped working

I'm new to using paint.net or any paint program for that matter. While using the clone stamp I tried to decrease the size of the brush when it stoppped working. The curser for the stamp appears but when I press the ctrl key an anchor show up as part of the curser and the little circle has dissapared. Can someone help me with the simplest of explanation. Not very literate when I comes to these things. Thanks.

I'm new to using paint.net or any paint program for that matter. While using the clone stamp I tried to decrease the size of the brush when it stoppped working. The curser for the stamp appears but when I press the ctrl key an anchor show up as part of the curser and the little circle has dissapared. Can someone help me with the simplest of explanation. Not very literate when I comes to these things. Thanks.

The cursor is supposed to have an anchor when you press control. Holding control, you click on the part of the image you want to be copied, then you release the key and click elsewhere and the "anchor" is copied to wherever you click and/or drag.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

The cursor is supposed to have an anchor when you press control. Holding control, you click on the part of the image you want to be copied, then you release the key and click elsewhere and the "anchor" is copied to wherever you click and/or drag.

xZYt6wl.png

I also wish to say thanks for the explanation, because i have also has some serious problems figuring out how this tool work !

Reading through your explanation then it must be clear to everyone that the tool is overcomplicated ! - ie. why the need to press a key in order to clone something ?

Suggestion:

Make the achor appear from the start - ie. the user would most likely not select the clone tool/rubber stamp if they didn't intent to use it right away

If I recall correctly from the computers class I took in 8th grade, in which we covered Photoshop briefly, Photopshop, as well as probably nearly every advanced image manipulation program, requires a key to be pressed to select the clone region as well. (Although I don't remember if it's Ctrl or Alt for Photoshop).

The problem with your idea is that what if you wanted to use the tool again, with a different clone source? You would have to deselect the tool by choosing a different one, and then go back to it again just to do so. Hardly intuitive. Besides, When you select the Clone Stamp tool in Paint.NET, it gives perfectly good instructions on how to use it in the bottom of the Paint.NET window.

xZYt6wl.png

If I recall correctly from the computers class I took in 8th grade, in which we covered Photoshop briefly, Photopshop, as well as probably nearly every advanced image manipulation program, requires a key to be pressed to select the clone region as well. (Although I don't remember if it's Ctrl or Alt for Photoshop).

Okay, so you're saying that PDN should work on the "this-is-how-we-normally-do-things" principle ! (I'm not trying to be rude)

If PDN is meant to work like every other piece of professional software outthere then i'd might as well just shell out the $$$ in order to a piece of software that already includes the tools we are missing (the magic wand for example), but is very hard to use, because it lack the intuitiveness which PDN hopefully will get as time goes by.

The problem with your idea is that what if you wanted to use the tool again, with a different clone source? You would have to deselect the tool by choosing a different one, and then go back to it again just to do so. Hardly intuitive. Besides, When you select the Clone Stamp tool in Paint.NET, it gives perfectly good instructions on how to use it in the bottom of the Paint.NET window.

ahhh, now i see it - that's very embarrasing for me, but i must admit that i hardly look in that corner when using PDN :oops: :oops: :oops: - also i'll agree that it would be very annoying if a user had to de-select the clone tool all the time in order to be able to clone from a new area - point taken :)

Okay, so you're saying that PDN should work on the "this-is-how-we-normally-do-things" principle ! (I'm not trying to be rude)

If PDN is meant to work like every other piece of professional software outthere then i'd might as well just shell out the $$$ in order to a piece of software that already includes the tools we are missing (the magic wand for example), but is very hard to use, because it lack the intuitiveness which PDN hopefully will get as time goes by.

ahhh, now i see it - that's very embarrasing for me, but i must admit that i hardly look in that corner when using PDN :oops: :oops: :oops: - also i'll agree that it would be very annoying if a user had to de-select the clone tool all the time in order to be able to clone from a new area - point taken :)

If PDN is meant to work like every other piece of professional software outthere then i'd might as well just shell out the $$$ in order to a piece of software that already includes the tools we are missing (the magic wand for example)

Um... Paint.NET is not missing a Magic Wand. :arrow: :MagicWandTool:

If PDN is meant to work like every other piece of professional software outthere then i'd might as well just shell out the $$$ in order to a piece of software that already includes the tools we are missing (the magic wand for example)

Um... Paint.NET is not missing a Magic Wand. :arrow: :MagicWandTool:

I'm sorry guys - I meant the magnetic lasso :oops:

I'm sorry guys - I meant the magnetic lasso :oops: