Should there be an MSC (Monthly Skinning Competition)?

Should there be a Skinning Competition? Please see the post below before voting.  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a Skinning Competition? Please see the post below before voting.

• Yes!
    • No!

Ok, this was inspired by a few posters who asked if PDN's look was changeable. Here's the idea:

Friendly competition adds fun, creativity, and challenge to a forum. Other forums often have multiple competitions of different sorts, the Sig-Of-The-Week has had good success on this one. So, how about a monthly skinning competition? It would be in addition to the SOTW.

We would start out with a Paint.NET skinning competition, then move to maybe skinning the forum, then the Google search page, Windows Media Player, etc.

I have already thought out how the rules should be, they would be similar to those in the SOTW.

Submission would start on the first day of the month, and end promptly three weeks from then. Then there would be a week of voting, and in the remaining few days, we would vote on the next thing to skin.

Comments? Questions? Please tell me your ideas! :)

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Yes, well it would be an 'unofficial' skinning competition, all designs would be for fun. :D

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

That is true, though, any contestants who would like to can make their submissions into a stylesheet. :)

I'll let this poll run for a week. If at that time, the votes in favor surpass votes against it, I'll prepare for the competition starting next month!

Just making a screenshot. No coding is required.

That could be something, you could either do a screenshot or do some coding but merit should only be awarded to design and not means. Just a suggestion.

Just like the SOTW can improve design skills, this too could improve design skills plus coding skills if that is the route you choose to take.

Judging would be on design only, if you wish to code anything, it will be totally excluded from competition: it will not get you any bonus points.

^Good point as to the experience and skill increasing value!

A Mt. Dew for you, sir! :mtdew:

I got an idea for an MSC! Create a splash screen for Firefox (see here)! I've been looking for one that I like on DA, but haven't found anything.

BTW, I wouldn't be expecting any bonus points if I coded it. CSS coding is fun to me and I don't like dealing with 30 layers with half of them on blend modes and with no drag-n-drop feature available.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Exactly, uH. The more ideas for competition, the better.

Although, if you only code your design --instead of making a screenshot-- you will still have submit an image, such as a screenshot of the design in a browser window.

NO. If you want to link to the coded design, it has to be out of the competition. Only images will be accepted.

Time is always an issue...

As to starting one now, I think that just skinning the taskbar would be fairly small and not worth it.

So what will be the first contest? I would like a Google contest.

Also, we will need some rules. How many entries? I would prefer 2 (because I would normally make like 8 of them).

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb