Paint.NET has encountered a problem and needs to close. [XP - SOLVED]

Vas709

When I run Paint.NET it gives me an error message, just as the title says. I went into Add/Remove Programs and tried to uninstall the software. But it gave me an error message saying:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I clicked the OK dialog and then another message appeared:

"Fatal error during installation."

In the Add/Remove Programs I clicked "Click here for support information." and then clicked "Repair" button.

It goes the same error messages. So I tried to reinstall the program by downloading the same version of Paint.NET 3.5.11. I extracted the setup file and ran the executable. But it gave me an error message saying:

"Paint.NET Setup Front-End has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I currently use Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 on my computer.

Here are the list of Microsoft .NET Framework versions:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 Language Pack - RUS

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 Language Pack - RUS

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended

How can I solve the problem so that I can run the software? Thank you for reading.

Vasja Stojkovic

Hi Vasja - welcome to the forum :)

Read this http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/692-install-update-or-uninstall-trouble-read-this/

Then re-read the second post. The Cleanup Utility is the tool generally recommended to remove troublesome software. Once removed you can reinstall it. Note that some virus software is better disabled for the installation.

Good luck.

Hi Vasja - welcome to the forum :)

Read this http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/692-install-update-or-uninstall-trouble-read-this/

Then re-read the second post. The Cleanup Utility is the tool generally recommended to remove troublesome software. Once removed you can reinstall it. Note that some virus software is better disabled for the installation.

Good luck.

Thank you, Ego Eram Reputo, for the post.

I installed and ran the Windows Installer CleanUp utility and then removed Paint.NET. I deleted the folder directory where the Paint.NET was installed to.

I ran Paint.NET 3.5.11 installation and it still gives me an error message saying:

"Paint.NET Setup Front-End has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

How can I fix the problem? Again thank you very much for the post.

Vasja Stojkovic

Try the suggestions in posts #3 and #4 from that thread.  #3 refers to repairing the .NET framework.  #4 refers to repairing paint.net.

This thread details a long and complex process , but does eventually arrive at a solution:  http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26551-paintnet-setup-front-end-has-encountered-a-problem-and-needs-to-close/page-2

Try the suggestions in posts #3 and #4 from that thread.  #3 refers to repairing the .NET framework.  #4 refers to repairing paint.net.

This thread details a long and complex process , but does eventually arrive at a solution:  http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26551-paintnet-setup-front-end-has-encountered-a-problem-and-needs-to-close/page-2

I went into Add/Remove Programs and repaired Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. And I installed Paint.NET 3.5.11 on my computer. Now I can use Paint.NET.

Thank you very much for your help, Ego Eram Reputo. :)

Vasja Stojkovic

That's very good news Vasja!  Glad I could help.

• Upvote 1