Changing text.

Hello, I see the little tip above this box.....Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. This does not apply to Paint.net. I cannot get the text to highlight. I cannot underline, italicise, make bold or change the font colour for just one section of text. I have figured out how to use a colour BEFORE I type text, but I cannot change the colour after it is typed. I cannot move the text around the page, even with the move selection pointer.

It's a hell of a lot easier editing text on this post than it is in Paint.net.

Cheers

Your cheery sendoff belies the rather accusing tone of your post...

Anyhow, this is not a new issue. You are not the only person to notice this, nor are you the first person to point it out bluntly. Rest assured that Rick is aware of the user base's desire for a more advanced text tool.

In the mean time, it is a wise idea to use new layers for each text bit you have. That way, you can move the text later, using the Rectangle Selection and Move Selected Pixels tools. As far as color, you can change it before you start, and you can continue changing it before you finalize.

See, while you're typing, there's a little quad-arrow icon at the bottom right corner that you can click on to move the text block into position. Then, you can click around the color wheel to choose the perfect color for the text, comparing it to it's background.

I hope that cools your jets,

Dan Larson

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Hi, Dan and Rainshadow,

Poor Rick....I am sure it is extremely difficult to keep up with the requests for changes, improvements and such to the program. That being said, there are a number of other programs which are more user-friendly, Zoom Draw comes immediately to mind. I chose to go with Paint.net because of the advanced features it offers. However, in my case, advanced features tend to have advanced instructions, and that is what is bugging me. I don't find the online Help pages to be very useful and I really don't want to keep asking what probably seem to be basic, right under my nose questions. I am getting older and so my learning curve is diminishing. Soon it will diminish to the point of no return, I expect. Rainshadow (nice moniker) you mention using layers to achieve the effects I want. Unfortunately, that is part of the advanced instructions I haven't managed to figure out yet.

I will continue reading the forum and plugging away at the program. Maybe a bright light will shine into the dark recesses of my mind.

Sincere cheers,

Kat

I really don't want to keep asking what probably seem to be basic, right under my nose questions.

Keep waiting, some basics tutorials are under production!

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

...Rainshadow (nice moniker) you mention using layers to achieve the effects I want. Unfortunately, that is part of the advanced instructions I haven't managed to figure out yet....

Kat

I think the best way to figure out how the "Advanced" options works is to try and muddle through some/all of the Tutorials.

You don't necessarily need to understand what is being done, but just seeing the effects of certain processes can help your overall understanding of some of the more interesting (and somewhat baffling) functionality.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

I don't mean to come in to this discussion late but I am just playing with the tool today for the first time and I want to make sure I understand - once the text is added - even in a new layer - there is no way to change it other than the ability to move the layer. Is that correct? I was going crazy trying to figure out why I couldn't edit the text layer that I added...

...once the text is added - even in a new layer - there is no way to change it other than the ability to move the layer. Is that correct?...

You can do a lot more than just move text around, but you cannot re-activate the text which means you have the following limitations:

- You can't re-type or make spelling corrections

- You can't change the font style

- You can't change the native font size

Aside from cutting and pasting to rearrange letters for spelling corrections, all of the above would require you to erase the text and create a new text entry.

Color changes can be made very easily as long as the text is on its own layer. This can be done with any of the many color filter options(Curves, Hue/Saturation, Color Balance, Color Filter). Aside from that there are about 10-15 tutorials for different text sytle effects in the Tutorial section.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Thanks for the reply. The more I play around, the more I do sort of like the idea that I can apply effects to the layer now that is no longer text. But you are bullocked if you made a typo - plus and minuses I guess - all what you get use to....for the most part, I am finding this a nice little tool for image editing!