Sign in to follow this  
pman

How to highlight?

I assume, by highlight, you mean like using a highlighter on some text?

If so, just add a new layer, set the blend mode to multiply, and color things with your paintbrush (make sure you set the color to something other than black or white.

I assume, by highlight, you mean like using a highlighter on some text?

If so, just add a new layer, set the blend mode to multiply, and color things with your paintbrush (make sure you set the color to something other than black or white.

Why do I need to add a new layer? Cannot do it on the same layer?

I tried your method, but the paintbrush overwrite and covered the text i want to highlight.

You forgot to set the new layer blend mode to Multiply. You can do this by highlighting the layer in the Layers window and pressing F4 to open the layer dialog.

Here's a sample of how it should look

yhsjjie-1815.png

Text and white background on one layer, yellow on another layer - above the first in the layers window. Setting the blend to Multiply allows the text to show through.

• Upvote 1

I should have formatted my reply a little better...

Step 1: Add a new layer

Step 2: Open the layer properties for the new layer

Step 3: Set the layer blend mode to Multiply and click OK

Step 4: Highlight your text by painting on your new layer

• Upvote 1

Thanks.

It works now.

When I save to .png, it requires me to flatten. Does it mean that the hightlight cannot be removed after saving with "flatten"?

It can, actually, as long as you hit "undo" (ctrl+z) right after the image is done saving, like it says on the prompt.  If you don't do so, then yes, the highlighting becomes permanent.

I often will save a "layers" version of my work, and then a "finished" version of my work. This allows me to go back and work on it or edit it.

To save your image and keep it in layers, simply make sure the “save as type” is set to “.pdn”. But remember, only paint.net can open .pdn files.

Then when you like how your image looks, or if you want your image to be opened by another program, flatten it and “save as” to which ever other format you want.

If you are going to have multiple versions of your work, I also recommend tweaking the titles just a little so you can tell which is which. I often add an "L" to the title of my "layers" version.

• Upvote 1

What are the file extension that have layers?

When you open a file, how do you tell if it has layers?

Common image extensions like bmp, png, jpg, jpeg all do not have layers correct?

Edited by pman

Only the .pdn extension can save your images in layers.

Test it out yourself by making a test picture.

-- Open paint.net.

-- Make three layers.

-- Put a scribble on each layer.

-- Then go to "Save As" and save it as a .pdn (Paint.net) extension.

-- Then close paint.net, find your test scribble picture and re-open it. When it opens you will notice that you have all of your layers.

Any other image extension will force you to flatten the image. So, correct, common image extensions do not save layers.

If you need pictures, let me know. I can try and post some to help clarify.

Edit, (Haha, EER beat me to the answer. That's what happens when I afk in the middle of writing a reply.)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles
  • Upvote 1