Complete novice to image editing...need to know what this effect is?

Hi all,

I am a novice to image editing, I just want to say that up front. I have been able to figure out a few things on my own, and others through tutorials. I have been searching for a tutorial for what I need to do, but the problem is that I am not sure what this effect is called, so I have not had any luck so far. Can someone please take a look at the example image below and tell me what that sort of effect would be called? I tried looking at frames, but the examples I found didnt seem to match up to this. The surrounding area on what I would want to do would be a non-white color, but I am sure that is the easiest part of the image manipulation.

If you have a pointer to the proper tutorial as well that would be appreciated, but I can at least search more intelligently if I know what I am looking for :)

Thanks a ton!

mxdt.png

Hmm?Im not sure what you are asking but it looks like you just cut out the picture you want and blur the edges.Like Welshblue said try TR's Extreme Edge Fader.

If you don't have anything new to add, please hold off on commenting until you're sure the person who asked the question understands the answer.  You don't want to confuse anyone.  :-)  Thanks.

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

If you don't have anything new to add, please hold off on commenting until you're sure the person who asked the question understands the answer.  You don't want to confuse anyone.  :-)  Thanks.

But then again,he DID asked for the name of the effect.Not for a plugin.That is a blur/fade effect isn't it?Understood though.You make a good point

• Upvote 1

Try TR's Extreme Edge Fader from here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26725-technorobbos-plugin-pak-jan-12th-2014/

If you're using 4.0 Alpha version the soft eraser is an option too

Thanks welshblue, and everyone else too.

I tried adding the extreme edge fader (found it in the link you sent which is to a long list of plugins, but the direct link is here) and followed the video tutorial that was listed at the link as well. Couldn't get the plugin to even show up in paint.net 3.x, so I downloaded the 4.x alpha and it shows up there. Followed the video tutorial listed with the edge fader on a random image I had. Weirdly, it didn't do anything to my image no matter where I put the slider on the fader. I checked the tutorial again and the only thing I can see different on the tutorial image is that it has the checkerboard that would indicate transparency, and I know it worked in the tutorial. So, I am sure I am just doing something wrong, but can hopefully figure it out :)

Also, you said about soft eraser in 4.0. Is that another plugin? I tried looking through the different effects and did not see a soft eraser listed at all...

Thanks again!

I am almost sure that Alpha Blur plugin was used here, (Not sure if Alpha Blur is compatible with PDN-4)

Just use the eraser (with large size) and erase unwanted parts of the photo, then run the Alpha Blur and adjust the blurred edge.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/24280-alpha-blur-v2-2012-03-05/

And here are some other methods:

http://pdnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=tuts&action=display&thread=64

Video: Use Lasso instead of Ellipse selection: 

Edited by yellowman
  • Upvote 1

Sorry for the late response - TR's EFX would require 2 layers - the vignette layer and the image layer beneath.

For the most control,always apply the effect to the vignette layer. Then use Gaussian blur or other effects for greater impact.

• Upvote 1

Go out there and be amazing. Have Fun, TR
TRsSig.png?raw=1
Some Pretty Pictures Some Cool Plugins

Wow, thanks a lot for the quick and easy tutorial TechnoRobbo! Worked great now that i know what to do :)

I would suggest adding this as a tutorial on the download page here for the plugin, if you havent already. Much more explanatory than the video with the frog :)

And, thanks to everyone for being so helpful! Great forum!