[Feature Request] Single key to toggle all tool windows on/off

A quick search of the forums turns up a number of discussions about the tool windows, but I can't find a similar idea to this.  My apologies if this has already been covered!

I would like to request that a single key binding is provided for toggling on/off all four windows (tools, history, colours, layers) at once.  In essence this would be a shortcut for simply pressing F5-F8.  (The implementation is of course more complicated since at any time the windows could be in one of 16 different states, and how do you know if the user wants everything on or off?)

Perhaps F9 is suitable as it doesn't have any current binding and is a logical continuation of the F5-F8 series.

My rationale behind this request is that I frequently find myself closing all windows when working at high zoom levels and it 'breaks my flow' when I have to remember which F key I need to activate a particular window (my memory is not what it used to be).

Thank your for your consideration and, of course, for your outstanding work on paint.net.

-- Tim

So you're basically asking for a shortcut to open and close all windows simultaneously, correct? Not sure if Rick will consider this. It's not really much of a hassle to open and close each individual window.

If you find yourself forgetting which window each function key opens/closes, why not just keep a small guide on a notepad by your PC?

F5: Tools

F6: History

F7: Layers

F8: Colors

Welcome to the forum and happy Thanksgiving.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

So you're basically asking for a shortcut to open and close all windows simultaneously, correct? Not sure if Rick will consider this. It's not really much of a hassle to open and close each individual window.

If you find yourself forgetting which window each function key opens/closes, why not just keep a small guide on a notepad by your PC?

F5: Tools

F6: History

F7: Layers

F8: Colors

Welcome to the forum and happy Thanksgiving.

Yes, exactly.  I would say that the amount of hassle depends on how each person uses the application.  I tend to work a lot with screenshots (for documentation) that require neat trimming (and some pixel nudging) and this means the target pixels are often in a corner, under a window.  As such I frequently open/close all four windows.  Another user might work mostly in the centre of the canvas and almost never close the windows.  Each scenario is as valid as the other.

I think my problem with the F5-F8 bindings stems from its clockwise mapping.  For some reason my brain expects the left-hand buttons (F5, F6) to toggle the left-hand windows, and the right-hand buttons (F7, F8) to toggle the right-hand windows.  (Writing that sentence it occurred to me I could simply move the windows to match my expectations...  I've done that now and I'll try to re-learn which window is in which corner!).

A simple 'everything-toggle' seems to me a straighforward way to provide useful functionality that doesn't inherently make the application more complex for new or existing users.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and your response.

-- tim

Press all four buttons simultaneously.  I call this the Rimmer (it's a Red Dwarf thing) :mrgreen:  Rick still hasn't added it to the official documentation though :(

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/20492-combing-the-tools-windows/?p=342335

• Upvote 1