Paint.net icon not responding

I installed Paint.net (free) about 2 years ago.  Not sure exactly which version.  It had been working ok but suddenly now when I double click on the icon on my desktop, it won't respond.  I scanned it with the anti-virus installed in my laptop, it showed no threats.  Yet the icon won't open.  Not just that, but when I try to open it by double clicking, it freezes the computer and I need to restart.  Would it be advisable to remove and re-install paint.net?

Hi songbird - welcome to the forum.  Let's see if we can sort this for you...

1. Right click the problem icon.

2. From the context sensitive menu that pops up, choose Properties.

3. Find the field named Target and tell us what it says there (you may be able to cut & paste the field into a post).

That looks correct. 

Open Windows Explorer and navigate down the path "C:\Program Files\Paint.NET"  in that folder, find the file named PaintDotNet.exe and double click that (this file is the one kicked into action by the icon).

It's not in Downloads.  Look in C:\Program Files\ for a folder called Paint.NET.  The executable should be inside that.

Paint.Net  in 'C' drive >    PaintDotNet.exe.config.  >  when I click on it says "windows cannot open this file"  (all images enclosed).

And when I click on the file PaintDotNet which seems to be the same icon as on my desktop, again it doesnt' respond and freezes my laptop.

post-117530-0-52258800-1377593890_thumb.

post-117530-0-33963500-1377593918_thumb.

Try running PdnRepair.exe

yhsjjie-147.png

Don't uninstall - many problems occur with partial removals and they are difficult to diagnose.  Download 3.5.11 and install over the top of the existing installation.  

Remember to disable your anti-virus when you perform the installation and re-enable it afterwards.

http://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html

Yes it will automatically take care of the existing installation.

Many thanks for the link and all the help. 

Btw, in the Control Panel, when I click on Paint.Net, a 'repair' button is activated.  Would it be okay to try repair .. if it doesn't work, I'll download from the link you gave. 

Or is there a likelihood that 'repair' might lead to additional problems?

post-117530-0-18240500-1378175142_thumb.

You might as well try it.  I have no idea what it will do.

1. Save the Zip file somewhere you can find again.

2. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the saved file.

3. Double click on it to open/extract.  The installation should start immediately.

~ sigh ~   Finally it's done.  Downloaded and installed over the previous one.  Seems to be working fine and opens instantly with a click on its desktop icon.  It was saved in the 'download' folder as zipped file and I opened & installed from there.  At present that folder shows 2 zipped files - previous & present.  Should I let the previous one remain?

post-117530-0-11326900-1378352529_thumb.

:mrgreen:  Success!

You can delete both files from the Downloads folder.  They've done their job.