Selection Tools?

Hi there.

On Paint.NET there are the usual Selection tools

Rectangle Select

Ellipse Select

Lasso Select

What I was wondering is if there was a Plugin with different kinds of select tools. By that I mean, instead of the rectangle select, where you can have a Rectangle or Square and then crop your picture (I know the select tool has other purposes but this is what I am after) Maybe there is a star select tool, so, when you use it and crop your photo it will be in the shape of a star, or maybe a hexagon, or any other various shapes. If this is around I would be much obliged to anyone to show me where.

Thanks!

Don't forget the Magic Wand tool :MagicWandTool: !

You can force the rectangle to be square by holding down the Shift key as you cast the selection. Similarly, the Shift key forces the Ellipse Select tool to be circular.

The general workaround to creating these types of selections is to create the shape on a separate layer and use the Magic Wand to select the shape. Once the selection has been cast, clicking on another layer reactivates it - the selection will persist across the layers (so you can create it on one layer and use it on another).

To help you with shapes try these plugins:

Stars

Polygon/Stars

Don't forget the Magic Wand tool :MagicWandTool: !

You can force the rectangle to be square by holding down the Shift key as you cast the selection. Similarly, the Shift key forces the Ellipse Select tool to be circular.

The general workaround to creating these types of selections is to create the shape on a separate layer and use the Magic Wand to select the shape. Once the selection has been cast, clicking on another layer reactivates it - the selection will persist across the layers (so you can create it on one layer and use it on another).

To help you with shapes try these plugins:

Stars

Polygon/Stars

Thank you so much!

Still pretty new to the various ways to use features on this program! (even though this one seems pretty basic) Thank you so much I have now attained what I was looking for.

Glad I could help.

Have you met the online documentation? http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/FileMenu.html

There's a lot of great information in there to help get you started.