where to look when the instructions and tutorials don't work?

Hello,

I'm running Paint.net v3.0 on an underpowered laptop, Pentium II 366mhz, 256mb ram. It runs as well as can be expected in all particulars, except regarding plugins.

I've tried the various procedures listed here, and, step-for-step, the Boltbait tutorial.

The dll's do show up in the Effects folder, but not on the pulldown effects menu. I don't get an "unblock" box in properties; do I have to specify .dll in the filetypes folder? (I just thought of that as I was entering this message.)

Also, the Alpha Mask plugin doesn't contain any .dll's, but has .cs's and other types. Do they need to be entered as filetypes?

I enjoy using Paint.Net very much, and see that other users have had the same frustration with installing plugins; shouldn't there be a standard "installer" included in these plugins, as part of the Paint.net assortment of capabilities; one that plugin submitters would need to interface with as part of their plugin-design process? So many of these plugins look interesting to try, but with my lack of success installing the first two I picked, it seems that the world of creative possibility offered by plugin designers is closed to me. Bummer.

Paint.NET 3.0 from 6 years ago? Can't help you. Your computer is older than most kids playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

Pentium II 366? 256MB of RAM? Sorry but that was below the minimum system requirements even for Paint.NET 1.0. Can't help you.

Anyway now that I'm done sounding like a jackass ... really, we just can't help you. Paint.NET is not likely to run very well on that computer at all, ever.

The good news is that when you do eventually get a new computer, Paint.NET will be quite happy. And I bet you will be too (not that you're unhappy now).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thank you.

I'm aware of the hardware issue; still, it's what I have, for now, and it's worth noting that your program does work quite well in real terms, even on my old limited laptop--every tool, every included effect, all adjustments ...

So, it's a curious issue that Paint.net will run very effectively, (if a bit slowly at times,) on a Pentium II 366mhz 256Mb machine, but plugins are wildly incompatible. That's worth at least a question mark (?).

The more recent versions of Paint.net don't function well at all on my current hardware, which is why I had to hunt down an older version; it's enough for now, sans plugins, even.

I do look forward to a hardware advancement, probably a Pentium 4 Core 2 Duo; again, not latest-tech, but within reach. I have read that the program works a lot better on more recent hardware, so that's something to look forward to.

Will a Core 2 Duo machine actualize the software potential sufficiently?

Yes a Core 2 will help quite a bit. Most of the rendering etc is CPU based, so you'll be gaining multi-threading, etc. Memory increase is also extremely helpful and required for some of the effects. PDN in its current revision of course can benefit from more processor power (more cores the merrier). But any step up will help you do more and be capable of running the latest version.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Thank you, again.

After posting, I scouted around and found the FAQ area that already addresses most of my concerns. So, thanks for your time in running through it again, here.

Being already so far behind the curve, I hadn't been worrying about "keeping up" with new releases. I'm just looking for a tool that works well. In upgrading for performance, though, FAQ shows v4.0 as incompatible with XP, crowding out my plan about a used XP/Core 2 Duo.

What's it gonna take, here? Windows 7 /i3 ? I'm sure it would be great, and worth the price; I'll just sell-off a couple of acres ... or the whole south-forty and go for W7 / i7 ... that oughta hold me ...

These seem like not-PDN's-problem kind of questions, but how long, say, will a Windows 7 / i3 machine be viable with PDN? What's the expectation or forecast from PDN's side?

I'll have to defer to Rick, but since 4.x has yet to make the stage or public beta testing, it may be a while before you'd have to plan accordingly.

Overall though, something to consider is that the rest of the software markets, including web applications and the like, are still looking for more horsepower and will only keep looking for more in time. Most of the graphic softwares are on inline with the gaming market more or less. The more the merrier, but keeping up is always expensive unless you're willing to accept a different experience or trade your time for the expense needed to stay above par.

Depending on the machine in question, upgrading to Windows 7 later on would be potentially the more cost effective way of extending the hardware and to allow taking advantage of any advancements to PDN.

Even I've not been able to justify upgrades of my own home setups in recent years, so I can understand your financial concerns in regards to gaining the best experience on a budget.

(More blather than anything, but I figured I should share my thoughts.)

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Plugins are not "wildly incompatible." Plugins are developed and compiled for the latest version of Paint.NET. Newer plugins will make use of newer things in Paint.NET which simply don't exist on older versions. Since Paint.NET is free, it's expected that you're on the latest version.

See rule #7 http://forums.getpai...his-2010-12-31/

Asking why a new plugin written for Paint.NET 3.5.10 won't work on Paint.NET 3.0 is a little like asking why the latest version of Photoshop won't work on Windows 95.

but how long, say, will a Windows 7 / i3 machine be viable with PDN?

Most likely a very long time.

Anyway, like I said, we can't help you.

Thread Closed

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg