How to Move Layers

calgarytech

I am now using v3 B1.

How can I move a graphic that is in a layer?

i.e. start Paint.net, drag in a .JPG and select ADD INTO LAYERS, drag another .JPG in and select ADD INTO LAYERS, click on one of the layers and drag it to a new location on the canvas.

The only way I can do it now is by selecting the pixels and moving it which is a crazy bad way to handle it.

I would also like to be able to resize a gaphic in a layer if possible but I can not figure that out either.

I have to be missing something obvious.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Ian Matthews

MCSE2001

try this:

Make sure the layer your graphic is on is selected.

Go to Layers>Rotate/Zoom. Under Pan you can select your desired position via X and Y coordinates. You can use the visual position indicator to move the graphic around the canvas or you can manually adjust the X and Y values.

pan.png

The Zoom option will also allow you to resize the graphic as needed.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Also, in 3.0, if nothing is selected, the Move Selected Pixels tool (Black Arrow) automatically selects the entire layer and picks it up for moving.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Thanks for the suggestions.

Perhaps I am missing something more fundamental:

1: When I have three or more layers, how can I switch between them? I can can turn them on an off but I can not figure out how to get Paint.Net to perform tasks on specific layers. It seems it wants to either select the most recently added layer one or the background layer.

2: Is the a way to change the layer size and its contents syncronously? i.e. if I use the ZOOM out feature the graphic contained on the layer enlarges but the layer does not. I would like to grab a graphic, resize, move, twist, rotate, it and have its layer adjust with it.

Thanks in advance.

To switch between layers, click on the layer name in the Layers window. The one highlighted in blue is the currently selected layer.

As far as resizing the layer itself, it's not technically possible. The layers are restricted to the size of the canvas, so anything, say for instance, that goes off the canvas during a Rotate / Zoom... adjustment is lost when the effect is finalized.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I had tried clicking, double clicking, right clicking... the layer on the LAYERS WINDOW prior to my first post. The problem is that it does not select the contents of the layer; the selection rectangle from the previously selected layer is applied to the currently selected layer. This makes it very difficult to work with.

What process should I follow to get Paint.net to select all of the contents of a specific layer after a layer is selected?

I enlarged the window for better illustration. In the image below "Layer 8" is selected. All effects or changes I make to the canvas will only apply to that one layer. If I want to switch to another layer all I need to do is left-click anywhere in the title block of the individual layer, i.e. where it says "Layer X".

In Photoshop you can Ctrl+click on a layer and it will automatically select the layers contents, but not necessarily select the layer. This functionality is not available with Paint.NET.

layers.png

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

SELECT ALL will do it. I did not understand that the size of each canvas is the same size as the 1st layers canvas.

I want a system that treats individual graphics as layers and to have each layer resize and contort with the graphic content.

I am used to working with Corel 9 and 11 and I am having difficulty getting my head around the notion of each graphic an being independent full size layer which can be easily accidentally cropped if the graphic is made larger than the canvas. Each layer in Paint.net can is the same size as the original canvas, not the size of its contents.

Thanks for the help.