Shortcut keys the same for different tools.

Recently I have been using Blender and Sketchup which make great use of hotkeys to navigate around the UI. Normally in PDN I click on the icon for the tool I need but this time I decided to try getting used to the shortcut keys instead. But when I pressed `S' for the magic wand it chose the Rectangle select tool instead. At first I thought it was a bug in the program but then I realised - all the selection tools have the same shortcut - `S' and you have to keep pressing `S' until you get the tool you want. Also the Move Selected Pixels and Move Selection tools both use `M' so you need to press `M' twice if you want the latter tool .

Surely it would be better if each tool had it`s own shortcut key? There are not that many tools in PDN compared to other programs anyway so there are plenty of keys to choose from. I know of no way to assign my own shorcuts either. Maybe the shortcut issue, as well as the ability to assign your own, should be looked into for the next version of PDN?

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

If I make a selection & then press M & the arrow keys it moves the selected pixels. To get the selection to move I have to press Shift + M & then use the arrow keys.

Pressing S multiple times scrolls through the selection tools.

Didn't know about pressing the M twice.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I was just going to start a thread asking if there were shortcut keys for pdn and you answered me before I asked the question,lol. ;)

I do have one more question though that you might know the answer to. When using the lasso tool and you go around an object,how do you tighten the noose? "Lasso" gives me the impression that you would be able to tighten it up like a real one. I thought it might be a shortcut key but after reading this thread I am back to no idea,lol.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

When using the lasso tool and you go around an object,how do you tighten the noose? "Lasso" gives me the impression that you would be able to tighten it up like a real one.

Oooh! I like that idea. That'd really be so cool for abstracts etc. Might make a beaut plugin guys?? :lol:

Goonie, I hardly ever use it too.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Thanks for your answers. I bet if you could tighten the noose you would use it more,lol. I only use it occasionally and it would be nice if it did that sometimes. But there are many ways to do everything you want with pdn so it really doesn't matter. :)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery