Cut & paste

loadholt

Newbie so hello everyone and glad to be aboard. Got new 'puter Win7 runs 64 bits and my old version of MGI Photosuite is ancient 32 bits so no go with Win7.

Used MGI for basic photo things like pics of grandkids, family & vacations. Paint.net I picked up easy but one thing I can't figure out: How do I cut out say a 1360 X 768 piece

and paste in another picture. I can't get Paint to go the whole 1360 nor down the whole 768 so I'm stumped. With MGI I clicked Tile Vertical and I could go beyone the screen size if I wanted

to say 1550 X 950 then when I pasted it I clicked shrink the image and it resized automatically to my basic 1360 X 768 picture same as my screen resolution size.

The MGI version I have must be 15 years old but still works like a champ. Yes, I am a senior citizen just hit 70 big ones and like to keep my mind working but the cut & paste

with Paint has me stumped. Any & all help appreciated and have a nice day.

You may need to clarify your question if this isn't what you're asking.

If the image that you want to bring in to an existing file is too large,

paste it into a new file, then resize it.

Image > Resize

Then copy/paste it into the original file.

============================

There are also other ways of doing this.

I am also somewhat confused by the question at hand.

In addition to Sarkut's comments, if you select the 'rectangle select' tool, the 'rectangle select' toolbar offers you 3 modes of selection:

- Normal

- Fixed Ratio

- Fxed Size.

In the fixed size window you can specify the exact amount of pixels (1360 x 768), and select your desired area accordingly.

Cheers,

V

naturesig.png

I tried clicking every rectangle and square I could find and no where do I see - Normal

- Fixed Ratio

- Fxed Size.

In the fixed size window you can specify the exact amount of pixels (1360 x 768), and select your desired area accordingly.

If I could find the windows I believe I would be good to go.

Say I have a picture 1550 X 950 and I want to cut out a piece that is 785 X 768. I can't do it because the window (picture) will not let me slide the size selection rectangle or square down to 768

only lets me go as far down as about 600 leaving a gap at the bottom of about 168 pixels when I paste it on a 1360 X 768 size picture.

when you click on the rectangle selection tool, three options will apear in a bar JUST ABOVE the work window,

one says TOOL, one says SELECTION MODE, and the third says NORMAL,, click on the NORMAL and a drop menu with NORMAL, FIXEL RATIO, and FIXED SIZE will appear, choose FIXED SIZE and you will get three additional places in the bar, one for height, one for width and one to set measurement with. set to pixels, enter the values you want, then position the selection where you want it

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

I understand, but when I click on rectangular selection tool there is nothing above it, nothing like you describe here; when you click on the rectangle selection tool, three options will apear in a bar JUST ABOVE the work window,

one says TOOL, one says SELECTION MODE, and the third says NORMAL,, click on the NORMAL and a drop menu with NORMAL, FIXEL RATIO, and FIXED SIZE will appear, choose FIXED SIZE and you will get three additional places in the bar, one for height, one for width and one to set measurement with. set to pixels, enter the values you want, then position the selection where you want it.

I consider myself 'puter literate pretty good w/hardware & software and there aren't really that many places to click with drop down menus or what not.

I'm thinking maybe I got an older version or didn't get a complete download so later today I', going to uninstall Paint do a restart and download & reinstall the latest version and see what happens then. Really appreciate your help and please stay with me until I get this resolved.

sounds like a plan.

without that settings bar, using paint.net would be a major pain. if its missing for all tools and not just the selection tool... yeesh. thats where you set your brush width, your type of shapefill, your tollerance on the magic wand-- everything

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.