Performance improvements?

Hi!

I've used Paint.Net as a photoshop alternative on and off for a couple of years, and I really like it.

However after a while I always get very frustrated with the performance, especially if you have a lot of layers. So it more often than not makes me look for other alternatives, but I always get back to Paint.Net because Ive found nothing better in the same price range.

I don't know where the bottle neck is but I suspect that it is drawing and that there is no hardware acceleration used. Is there any plans to do so or in any other way speed it up drastically? If so when might that be ready?

Well, what kind of system are you running? CPU type and speed, amount of memory (RAM, not hard drive space), and Windows version (XP? Vista? 7? is it 32-bit or 64-bit?)

1) Make sure you're running 64-bit, like BoltBait said

2) Make sure you've got a dual-core (or more) processor.

3) Make sure your system isn't a dinosaur.

And, how large are the images you're loading, and how many layers are you using.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Well, what kind of system are you running? CPU type and speed, amount of memory (RAM, not hard drive space), and Windows version (XP? Vista? 7? is it 32-bit or 64-bit?)

1) Make sure you're running 64-bit, like BoltBait said

2) Make sure you've got a dual-core (or more) processor.

3) Make sure your system isn't a dinosaur.

And, how large are the images you're loading, and how many layers are you using.

The machine that triggered me to post is a core2duo 2.8ghz, 6gig ram and vista64. The image of the day was 12 megapixels and 18 layers, the app used about 900 MB ram. And I saw some improvement in speed when I only had a couple of layers visible...

I have also tried it on a laptop with 32 bit win7 2.2ghz core2duo and 3 gigs of ram using smaller images and fewer layers. And on 3 ghz core2duo with 4gig ram and vista64. I've tried to do my homework :)

What I've noticed is that Photoshop and Gimp is a lot faster (makes sense since they've been around forever and probably has a lot more rescources) and other less featured editors is also faster, by unusable for the lack of features.

So far Paint.net is the best alternative to Photoshop I've trried, and my only "complaints" is speed ands the lack of a proper alpha channel.

Thank you for the fast answers, I hope you can give me some good news :)

Paint.NET has a 100% proper alpha channel.

What it doesn't have is alpha masking (essentially a 2nd alpha channel that's editable by itself).

Ah Sorry, yes that's true. Bad formulation on my side, what I should have said is proper alpha channel editing. I actually Don't want a 2nd alpha channel What I want is to be able to draw and edit in the alpha channel, mainly for texture manipulation. But that's another topic to be handled separatley I guess.

I don't want a flamewar here, as I said I really like the application and I'm a developer myself so I understand and appreciate the amount of work that's needed to build an application of this size and complexity. I also know that projects like this one never is finished and that you always have a backlog larger than you like and that every user wants you to build them their custom special super app and that no one is ever 100% satisfied. That is why I asked if it was in your plan instead of asking you to do it for me.

Please know that I don't intend to step on toes here, if I say something that's not 100% it's because I've missed something, simple lack of skills in the English languge or auto complete on my phone. No harm intended. I really hope you understand me and that you can answer the question I originally posted.

Again thanks for the quick response

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having performance problems also, and thought I'd just add to this topic rather than starting a new one.

The problem only happens with large files with many layers, for instance: 2500 x 3300 pixels; 15 layers; 44.2 MB file - It didn't slow down until after about layer number 10.

My computer has 3.00 GB Ram; Windows XP 32 bit; NVIDIA picture card with 512 MB memory and 64 bit memory interface (Please do not believe that I actually know what I'm talking about just because I'm using these terms! lol!)

My actual questions are:

1) Is there something I don't have on my computer that I need to get that will help the performance? (if there is info you need that I did not provide, please let me know what it is...and where I can find the info on my computer)

2) Will performance improve if I shut off certain programs that run while I'm working on Paint.net (for instance: Norton Security)

3) Will performance improve if I save, exit, and reload frequently?

4) Would I just be further ahead to break down the various elements in the pic and do them separately on their own (smaller) file and then put it all together in the end?

5) Does it make a difference how many files I have 'open' at a time?

That's it! Thanks! :D

0) You didn't state what operations are slower now. Is it everything, or just a few things?

1) Can't think of anything. 3GB should be fine, although running a 64-bit version of Windows always helps. You didn't say what CPU you have, so I can't tell if that's even possible for you.

2) Shutting off the bloated Norton Security is always a good idea. Norton is a fat little piggy whose only goal is to scare you into renewing your subscription (I'm being a brat here but that is the honest gist of things). I highly recommend installing Microsoft Security Essentials instead. It's free and fast, http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

3) No. Probably just waste a lot of time.

4) That might help, yes, actually.

5) Sometimes, not always. What would affect it most is how often you need to switch between them.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thank you so much for such a speedy reply!

0) It's just a few things, mainly: gradients and wand, and it bogs down going from layer to layer (when I get a ton of them)

1) I don't know if I got this info from the right location (my computer/properties/general) but the place that mentions CPU has this for the entire line: Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Also, if I were to upgrade to 64 bit, will that cause chaos with all the bazillion files I already have, or is it a smooth transition?

2) lol! Yes, Norton is a fat little piggy! Thanks for the tip @ MS security. I will give it a whirl!

3) Good, because I was thinking it would be a big PITA

4) This did help tremendously (though I've only been experimenting for about an hour :mrcyan:)

5) I tried working with about 7 open files (each having less than 6 layers) and it didn't seem to be having any problems

I would like to add that I love Paint.net. I have tried Photoshop (several times) and end up screaming with frustration. Paint.net is soooooo much more user friendly and common-sensible. I think it's a great program!

That's it! Thanks again!

1) I don't know if I got this info from the right location (my computer/properties/general) but the place that mentions CPU has this for the entire line: Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz

I said this in another post somewhere recently, but a Pentium 4 is pretty much the bottom of the barrel these days. You're not even running with a dual-core CPU. It will be very slow.

Also, if I were to upgrade to 64 bit, will that cause chaos with all the bazillion files I already have, or is it a smooth transition?

You will need to upgrade your CPU first since yours is (probably) not 64-bit capable. However, it will not have any effect on the files you've already made. From Paint.NET's standpoint, it will be a very smooth transition.

To upgrade to 64-bit, you also need a new version of Windows. Depending on what you can or want to afford, this simply may not be feasible at this time. If you're in the market for a new computer anyway, just make sure it has 64-bit Windows 7 and 4GB of RAM. Worth noting is that many netbooks which have the Intel Atom processor are not 64-bit capable. However, many Atom-based desktops are (may as well get a full Core i3/i5 at that point though, honestly).

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thank you for the info - I will start checking around @ upgrades, etc. - In the meantime, I will just split my large files up to ease the bogging down problem (I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the number of layers than the pixel size, since I can work on large files with ease, as long as I only have a few layers).

BTW, I turned Norton off to see if it would help...it didn't

B)