Making a newspaper picture look "normal"

Hi, I just downloaded Paint.Net this past week. I take lots of pictures of my family and the more I take the more neat things I want to do with them. Paint.Net so far seems to have as many features as GIMP but appears to be easier to use, at least so far.

Annnyway, I recent scanned in a picture from a newspaper but the pixels are rather large looking and fr a distance there is a herringbone look to the texture of the picture. Here is a sampleUntitled.jpg

So how can I tinker with the picture in the program to make it look less newpapery?

Thanks!

here's a tip...

I duplicated thelayer 3 times, set the blending mode to overlay on the original layer and the 2 under it. then I offset the bottom 3 layers by 1 or 2 pixels, each in a different direction. then I blurred all the duped layers a few pixel (3 or 4). then I blurred the original layer by 2 and sharpened by 4. it came out a little dark so I lightened it

Untitled-1.png

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

here's a tip...

I duplicated thelayer 3 times, set the blending mode to overlay on the original layer and the 2 under it. then I offset the bottom 3 layers by 1 or 2 pixels, each in a different direction. then I blurred all the duped layers a few pixel (3 or 4). then I blurred the original layer by 2 and sharpened by 4. it came out a little dark so I lightened it

Well hey, here goes nothing!!

Before:

LorandRhys0909006alleneventa-1.jpg

and After:

LorandRhys0909006alleneventb.jpg

I'm new to this and I'm sure I've got of tweaking on this picture and learning over all, but it looks like it's going to be fun!!! :)