Please make System Restore Point an option

Paint.net would be nearly perfect (great job btw) without an installer that forces a system restore point on us.

It seems like 90% of other software doesn't even save a restore point, what would it hurt to let us opt out of it?

I'm against it because:

1) Biggest reason - it's really slow

2) It takes away our hard drive space!

3) It's seems unnecessary for an app like this.

But even if you disagree, senators I implore you, please make it an option.

Thanks,

Lee

Removed SPAM from signature

>>There's still a chance it could cause problems.

Simon, isn't the fact that the vast majority of applications do not require this evidence that the probability is low this will help you? Why not add a complete disk backup requirement to the Paint.net install? That could also help in theory right? What's your probability threshold of there being a problem for you to think it's a good idea? 1.0%? 0.0000001%? I be willing to bet it helps much less than 1% of the time.

>>It's not as though you have to do it every day.

I've done it dozens of times across different versions and different systems I own - is that enough to not want to do it?

>>Then delete it. http://bit.ly/4DYYgK

Most people have no idea how to remove these, so I'm not sure the answer is anyone who doesn't want to use up the disk space should google around and learn about things they might not have to otherwise.

Respectfully,

Lee

You have got to be kidding me.

Rick wrote that as a part of installation so that if the computer ever crashes after the install was successful, we would have a chance to rollback to the last known good configuration.

Microsoft uses System Restore daily, I have that running all the time in my system, and if you got a gripe with system restore, take it to Microsoft. I'm happy with how PDN have enhance my experience in graphic design, thank you very much.

Get a grip.

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

>>There's still a chance it could cause problems.

Simon, isn't the fact that the vast majority of applications do not require this evidence that the probability is low this will help you? Why not add a complete disk backup requirement to the Paint.net install? That could also help in theory right? What's your probability threshold of there being a problem for you to think it's a good idea? 1.0%? 0.0000001%? I be willing to bet it helps much less than 1% of the time.

As an example (obviously I haven't tried this), say someone installs Paint.NET on battery power and it goes during the installation. They're left with a half-installed upgrade which system restore could probably easily fix.

>>It's not as though you have to do it every day.

I've done it dozens of times across different versions and different systems I own - is that enough to not want to do it?

Still, it's something that doesn't require your undivided attention.

>>Then delete it. http://bit.ly/4DYYgK

Most people have no idea how to remove these, so I'm not sure the answer is anyone who doesn't want to use up the disk space should google around and learn about things they might not have to otherwise.

If disk space becomes an issue then using the disk cleanup utility is probably a logical thing to do. Also, I don't know how long system restore points are retained, but I only have four, the earliest of which was created on the 6th of this month.

KaHuc.png

You have got to be kidding me... get a grip

I don't see how this statement makes a case to have it, or were you just belittling my suggestion?

Microsoft uses System Restore daily

Really? How many Microsoft apps save a system restore point when installing? Is it even half? 25%? Seems like it should be high if it's so important.

I'm happy with how PDN have enhance my experience in graphic design, thank you very much

Is this a relevant statement? I started out by saying I think it's a nearly perfect app. No one is criticizing the graphic design capabilities here.

Lee

Oh my gosh you guys, this is the dumbest thread all week. If you don't like System Restore, then TURN IT OFF. Saying things like "Paint.NET forces me to do a restore point..." to make it sound like you're being oppressed is just silly and lame.

Thread Closed

(btw do not PM me about this. seriously ... if a thread is closed then it's closed.)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg