please explain importance of layer order

I'm new using pdn and layers. Why is it important to have a layer on top, in the middle, or at the bottom?

How does the order effect the final outcome when I have to merge them altogether?

Is the top one the one I'm supposed to be currently editing?

Can I edit a layer in the middle or at the bottom as long as it highlighed blue?

Appreciate answers.

To add on to what Wilson has said:

Can I edit a layer in the middle or at the bottom as long as it highlighted blue?

Yes.

=======================================================

Is the top one the one I'm supposed to be currently editing?

No, no need to move a layer to the top to edit it.

=======================================================

How does the order affect the final outcome when I have to merge them altogether?

If you mean flattening the image when you have finished, then what you see is what

you get, before and after flattening.

----------------------------------------------------

If you have several layers with different blend modes in a stack, say 1,2,3 and 4

with 1 being the lowest and 4 the highest, then it's best to merge 2 down into 1 first.

Next 3 down into 1 and, finally, 4 down into 1.

========================================================

Why is it important to have a layer on top, in the middle, or at the bottom?

You could think of layers as stacked glass sheets you are looking down thru.

Anything on the top layer will block the view of what is on the middle and bottom layers.

Anything on the middle layer will block the view of the bottom layer, but not

block the top layer.

Whatever parts of the upper layers are transparent allow that area of lower layers to be seen.

Applying different parts of your editing on separate layers makes it easier to mix-and-match,

discard and adjust previous parts of your editing.

Appreciate answers. I got a little lost with Sarkuts' help. I must be a dummie.

"How does the order affect the final outcome when I have to merge them altogether?

If you mean flattening the image when you have finished, then what you see is what

you get, before and after flattening.

----------------------------------------------------

If you have several layers with different blend modes in a stack, say 1,2,3 and 4

with 1 being the lowest and 4 the highest, then it's best to merge 2 down into 1 first.

Next 3 down into 1 and, finally, 4 down into 1."

Sorry-- I have no clue what this means other than maybe "blend/merge" layers at different times according to the layer position. Sounds like I should start at the bottom and once the 2 bottoms ones are done then merge the upper ones 1 at time according to where they are in order? Then the final step is flatten?

Why am I starting at the bottom? I believe what people say but don't get it.

I've been searching the web to learn more about layers but nothing seems to explain the importance of positions etc.. so I thank people for help.

Sounds like I should start at the bottom and once the 2 bottoms ones are done then merge the upper ones 1 at time according to where they are in order?
Edit--

That's right, work your way up like that.

It doesn't matter when using only Normal blend mode (the default).

If you are just flattening the image when you're finished it's taken care of automatically.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.