Alternative picking method?

Hey,

I dont really know how to correctly express it, but let me try:

When I want to pick an object out of a background which is very similar to my object, the magic wand does not work, it always picks the complete picture (I tried playing with the %).

So theres no other way of picking the object than to draw a line with the Lasso tool around it, which I find very hard and inaccurate. And if my hand shakes once, I have to start from the beginning.

So I wondered if there is a plugin or someone could create one where you just click multiple times and the dots are connected with each other, so you can just click around the edges of difficult objects.

Sorry if my english is bad, its not my native language and I dont know any words from the graphics editing jargon in english.

A common way to cut out images is by using the Line/Curve tool. :LineCurveTool:

Make an outline around what you want to cut out on a separate layer,

then wand inside it, invert selection, move to your image layer

and press delete.

Working with the Line/Curve tool's adjustment nodes give more control

and a smoother cut out edge than working freehand with Lasso.

Edited by Sarkut

Also remember right click on the knobs when using the line tool makes the curve slope more smoothly as opposed to left clicking and moving more sharply.

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

Thanks for the tip, but that does not really help me :/

By drawing lines, you also have to click and hold while moving your mouse. Isnt there a simple way to just click at two points on the picture and they are connected with a line or a "picking field"?

That shouldnt be too hard to code, should it? Could anyone do me the favor? It would not only help me, it would make things much easier for many people!

that is the most simple method at this time. He means trace what you want to cut on another layer with the line tool. Then use the magic want outside the selection you just traced. then go back to the original layer and press del. Make sure you run the feather plugin after u cut out something to smooth the edges. Also the tool you are want is already under the most requested tools. I have no idea if that will be implemented in future versions of pdn, so for the time being just follow sarkut's method and deal with it like the rest of us :roll:

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

I agree, it would be nice to have a plugin to do that.

Regarding the Line/Curve tool; it is possible to move the nodes

one pixel at a time using the arrow keys.

It is also possible to change the cursor from that hand to something

less obstructive to the view of the work being done.

By drawing lines, you also have to click and hold while moving your mouse. Isnt there a simple way to just click at two points on the picture and they are connected with a line or a "picking field"?

That shouldnt be too hard to code, should it? Could anyone do me the favor? It would not only help me, it would make things much easier for many people!

Polygon Tool isn't exactly what you want, but since it lets you add onto the line by clicking on another point, it should do the trick.

KaHuc.png

Really, does it do for you? Im not sure if we mean the same thing, as I have the german localisation of Paint.NET, do you mean the last tool, this odd shape right to the ellipse tool?

How can you add point that are connected? For me I have to hold my mouse left button while drawing!?