drawing connected lines

im trying to simplify some house drawings (to make evacuation plans) by tracing the walls with the line tool (on separate layer). It takes some effort, since its hard to make the lines connect in an simple way. shift to make the lines straight is great though!

this is what i get, and below, what i want.

zv4olw.jpg

any ideas is greatly appreciated!

im trying to simplify some house drawings (to make evacuation plans) by tracing the walls with the line tool (on separate layer). It takes some effort, since its hard to make the lines connect in an simple way. shift to make the lines straight is great though!

this is what i get, and below, what i want.

zv4olw.jpg

any ideas is greatly appreciated!

Zoom in and use the paintbrush to fill in the missing pixels ?

Or use :RectangleTool: with the line width you want and then :RectangleSelectTool: to get rid of the lines you don't want

yes, zooming in is what ive been doing so far, but it takes lots of time, it would be a lot faster if i could continue on the same line in a simple way. maby i need to find another program for this, but i really like some of the other features in paint.net, and ofcourse that its free!

to give you an example of what ive been up to today, this way you can probably see my point..

[edit] I downsized the image a lot, so the edges may look a bit strange

9tfzus.jpg

Zoom in and use the paintbrush to fill in the missing pixels ?

Or use :RectangleTool: with the line width you want and then :RectangleSelectTool: to get rid of the lines you don't want

yes, zooming in is what ive been doing so far, but it takes lots of time, it would be a lot faster if i could continue on the same line in a simple way. maby i need to find another program for this, but i really like some of the other features in paint.net, and ofcourse that its free!

to give you an example of what ive been up to today, this way you can probably see my point..

[edit] I downsized the image a lot, so the edges may look a bit strange

9tfzus.jpg

Point taken :wink:

Maybe someone else has a better answer ?

If you're tracing plans, can't you draw continuous lines using shift and then use the :RectangleSelectTool: to delete the part of the line you don't want. From the image you've shown most things seem to be in line ?

I dunno. Good luck (I'm intrigued about the evacuation plan bit ...)

yes, i have used this method on many parts of the drawing, one problem that accurs is that i cant see were the openings should be once i painted it black. i guess i can change the color somehow so i can see trough the line while i work on it, and then fill it with a solid color once i am done. but i havnt looked in to that yet.

there is the polygon line tool by simon brown, I think, it might help.

thanks for the tip!

I tried it, but it doesnt do exactly what i need.

it does connect the lines automatically, thats exactly what i need.

but it doesnt enabels me to trace the plans, since i cant see the other layer while i use the tool.

I cant draw straight lines using shift-button (and without a "preview" of what the line will look like, its almost impossible).

and it still connects the lines the "wrong" way, like this:

2ikwron.jpg

Point taken :wink:

Maybe someone else has a better answer ?

If you're tracing plans, can't you draw continuous lines using shift and then use the :RectangleSelectTool: to delete the part of the line you don't want. From the image you've shown most things seem to be in line ?

I dunno. Good luck (I'm intrigued about the evacuation plan bit ...)

yes, i have used this method on many parts of the drawing, one problem that accurs is that i cant see were the openings should be once i painted it black. i guess i can change the color somehow so i can see trough the line while i work on it, and then fill it with a solid color once i am done. but i havnt looked in to that yet.

there is the polygon line tool by simon brown, I think, it might help.

thanks for the tip!

I tried it, but it doesnt do exactly what i need.

it does connect the lines automatically, thats exactly what i need.

but it doesnt enabels me to trace the plans, since i cant see the other layer while i use the tool.

I cant draw straight lines using shift-button (and without a "preview" of what the line will look like, its almost impossible).

and it still connects the lines the "wrong" way, like this:

2ikwron.jpg

Change the line ends to round?

good idea.

that does connect the lines correct, but I would prefer the sharp edges, think it looks more proffesional.

it will also be a problem if i accidentaly move the mouse before i can start drawing the next line.

if i end up with something like:

2vccao7.jpg

it will be even harder to correct those errors and maintain evenly rounded edges at all points

Change the line ends to round?

good idea.

that does connect the lines correct, but I would prefer the sharp edges, think it looks more proffesional.

it will also be a problem if i accidentaly move the mouse before i can start drawing the next line.

if i end up with something like:

2vccao7.jpg

it will be even harder to correct those errors and maintain evenly rounded edges at all points

......understand?

yes, i get that, and my example was exadurated and would probably not happen the way i showed it. i work with big drawings at about 5000x5000 pixel and 30 width lines, and although i can zoom while drawing, making those perfect connections probably takes more effort then to manually fill the gaps with the pencil afterward. turning of the curve-function would also speed things up, is that possible?

I do understand that i use this program for something it wasnt intended for, but as i said before, it fits my needs perfect in other aspects.

......understand?

yes, i get that, and my example was exadurated and would probably not happen the way i showed it. i work with big drawings at about 5000x5000 pixel and 30 width lines, and although i can zoom while drawing, making those perfect connections probably takes more effort then to manually fill the gaps with the pencil afterward. turning of the curve-function would also speed things up, is that possible?

I do understand that i use this program for something it wasnt intended for, but as i said before, it fits my needs perfect in other aspects.