Paint.NET won't install/uninstall

I've heard about this program from a friend and got excited about the possibilities of this program.

However, when I tried to download, it said, "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I can not install or uninstall this program. Any help would be appreciated.

-Kevin

::::EDITED::::

I didn't mean when I tried to download. I meant to say when I tried to install. Thanks.

I am having issues with installing PDN also. When I click on the .exe file that I downloaded (v3.36) and unzipped, it pops up a dialog box for about .2 second and disappears with no error message and no install. I have read the Re: PROBLEMS WITH INSTALL UPDATE OR UNINSTALL? READ THIS. and tried all of those things. I've run the repair tool for .NET framework 3.5 which has been installed. I've never installed PDN before so there's nothing to uninstall or cleanup. I'm running WinXP SP3 and I've tried shutting down McAfee antivirus and antispyware. I am logged on as Adminstrator. The PDN "install" didn't leave any log or folder on my desktop and the %TEMP% folder is empty.

I have read through this forum looking for an answer and tried quite a few of the suggested fixes. After about 6 hours put in on that I'm out of ideas. I tried installing from a command window and tried creating the MSI file. When I click on the MSI it complains that "To install this product, use the setup wizard." I tried to run PDN from a CD by burning an image from the ISO but the file for the ISO is no longer on the webpage. I even tried installing from safemode but it threw an error because of installing in safemode.

I've tried re-downloading the file from another server. The latest version of Microsoft Installer has been installed. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Sadly, as the main developer puts it :

You're running into a weird corner case that Windows Installer is barfing on and I've never been able to reproduce it over the years. Which totally sucks because then I'd be able to figure out what's going on and fix it somehow.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I went to filehippo.com and downloaded a previous version (v3.30) and it installed with no problems. I tried updating to version 3.36 and it wouldn't update. 3.30 is working fine now so I'll just wait until the bug in 3.36 is fixed or a newer version is released, thanks.

I am having issues with installing PDN also. ...

This is another issue I've been unable to reproduce. I'll be adding some extra logging to the next version to try and figure this one out. Be sure to install the first public release of version 3.5, even in its alpha/beta form.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I am having issues with installing PDN also. When I click on the .exe file that I downloaded (v3.36) and unzipped, it pops up a dialog box for about .2 second and disappears with no error message and no install.

When it pops up and closes like that, that is usually caused by DEP (data execution prevention). It is meant to keep viruses from running, but it may be blocking the install. If you are using xp, right click on my computer and click on properties and then click on the Data execution (or something like that). You should be able to add the install to the list and try again. I am not sure how to do it in vista, sorry.

It had better not be a DEP issue, I'm not doing any code generation and I mark all my compiled binaries as DEP-aware and opt-in to the fullest protection levels. If it does end up being a DEP issue then the smoking gun is in someone else's hand. I imagine the event log (start->Run, eventvwr) will have entries about it if that's the case.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

From what I have seen, DEP does not make any logs or messages saying it has blocked something. The only way to check is to add a exception for the program and see if it runs.

I'm not saying it is a DEP issue, but, the very same thing happened to me. When I tried to run a program, it just shuts down with no errors or log in the event viewer and I have been using the program for months before it happened.

Windows Vista certainly tells you, with a little balloon, when something has been shut down due to DEP. XP should at least give a crash dialog.

However, the outer wrapper of the installer (NSIS) does some arbitrary things to error handling which may hide those error alerts.

Try this,

1. On a different computer, download the run the installer. But, at the first install wizard screen ("Quick" vs "Custom" choice), don't do anything.

2. Instead, navigate to %TEMP% and make a copy of the folder called PdnSetup (just drag-drop a copy to your desktop, that should be fine)

3. Exit the installer.

4. Move the copy of PdnSetup to the original computer which is having installation trouble.

5. And then from there, run SetupShim.exe (just double-click it)

If the outer wrapper (NSIS) is suppressing error dialogs/alerts, you should now see them.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg