Feature request: crop to specific size

In photo shop, you can crop a picture to a specific size. I would like to be able to do the same in paint.net. This program loads faster and is fast becoming my go to program. Thanks.

Example: I have a picture that is 3200 x 2500 and I want to crop the dimensions to 1680 x 1050 (I know I can change the picture size or canvas size, that's not what I'm talking about) A lot of times the pictures that I get aren't the same aspect ratio as what I want and I need to see what I'm cropping out of the picture.

• 4 weeks later...

I have similiar request. Is it possible in one step to crop and resize the picture to a specific size

If i have a picture of 2000x1500 pixels and I want to crop and resize it to say 200x200 pixels. I would like to select with a tool that always keeps a quadratic area (in this case, since the result should b 200x200 pixels), and when I execute crop the resulting picture shold be automatically be resized to 200x200 pixels.

I would also like to move around the selection before I do the crop and resize.

I understand that I can do

1. Rectangle Selection, Fixed ratio, input values and do my selection

2. Switch to Move Selection (to move around)

3. Crop

4. Image resize, and input 200 as witdh

But in Photoshop I can do this in one step. It is a operation I tend to do a lot.

Have I missed something?

Bo Nordlin

How is this performed in Photoshop? I'm not really following what you're trying to do. (But I do have a cop of CS3 to try it out in.)

Thank you for your attention.

1. Select the crop-tool

2. In the area below the menu (don't know what it is called in PS), enter the the size you want the cropped image to have (I added a small screen dump, sorry I only have the Swedish version of PS)

3. Make a selection with the mouse

4. Hit enter

I use this when publishing images for the web. The images need to have a specific size.

23503_b905787083eb18cc80d8229d4fd79425

This functionality exists in Paint.NET. Just change the Rectangular Selection tool to "Fixed Size" mode, change the size to the one desired, and then make your selection. Then use Ctrl+Shift+X to crop. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

This functionality exists in Paint.NET. Just change the Rectangular Selection tool to "Fixed Size" mode, change the size to the one desired, and then make your selection. Then use Ctrl+Shift+X to crop. :-)

I am not sure that I have made clear what I want to achieve. What you are describing gives me - as far as I can tell - a crop to a specific dimension, but I want to resize and crop. If I have a photo of 3000x2000 pixel and I input 200x200 pixel in Rectangular Selection, Fixed Sized mode, I only get a small part of the picture. I might want to include almost the whole picture, but have the part I am cropping resized to the size I specify. Sorry if my explanation is inadequate.

• 1 month later...
How is this performed in Photoshop? I'm not really following what you're trying to do. (But I do have a cop of CS3 to try it out in.)

Have you had an oppurtunity to try it out in Photoshop? Is there a possibility that a similar function will be available in a future version of Paint.net?

You can already do what you want with Paint.NET.

In this example I'm assuming that you want to first resize to 1680x1120, and then to crop out a 1680x1050 section.

If your image is 3000x2000 then first use Image->Resize and type 1680 for the width. The new height will be automatically calculated (it will be (2000/3000)*1680,  which is 1120).

Then, either:

1) Use Image->Canvas Size and type 1050 for the new height. Set the anchor to top/middle/bottom depending on what you want. This is appropriate if you want to crop out either the very top, exact middle, or very bottom.

2) Use the rectangle selection tool in Fixed Size mode, and then use Crop to Selection. Pay attention to the status bar to make sure you don't accidentally move the selection out of bounds, which will result in the selection being trimmed to the canvas. It will be obvious because it won't say 1680x1050 for the selection size (it'll be smaller).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 1 month later...

Rick, I think you never looked at the way Photoshop can handle this crop and resize in one go.

(see: http://www.photoshopsupport.com/photosh ... p-tip.html)

What you describe is a 2-step process.

If you have lots of big images and want to make random crops that in the end are all the same size (e.g. small size to fit your cellphone screen), this is really an invaluable tool.

This is a long time feature request from me, too.

Doesn't sound like a too difficult thing to implement, compared to the usefulness of the feature!

Doesn't sound like a too difficult thing to implement, compared to the usefulness of the feature!

How would you do it in Paint.NET? How would you program it?

Unless you can tell me the answer to that question, you have no license to tell me how easy it would be.

Seriously, people, STOP saying this. It's a BAD idea.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.