Framing the image to copy, and frame release issues

Hello,

I am not sure where I ought to post this but here goes...

For a long time now, through a few PaintNet updates, framing an image or part of the image has

been a real problem.

If I frame the image using the mouse, the framing tool refuses to release the rectangle, pressing escape has no effect and

the frame just moves around where ever the mouse happens to be.

The only way I can release the frame is to select another tool and start again.

That does not guarantee anything though and my question is, is there anything I can do to sort this out?

I am currently using the latest version of PaintNet.

Many Thanks

Regards Peter

3 hours ago, PeterG said:

framing an image or part of the image

By this do you mean creating a Selection, for example by using the Rectangle Select tool?

If I frame the image using the mouse, the framing tool refuses to release the rectangle, pressing escape has no effect and

the frame just moves around where ever the mouse happens to be.

Do you mean that the Selection moves with the mouse, or does it change size with the mouse as if you are still drawing it?

Do you perhaps have ClickLock turned on in Windows Settings > Mouse Properties (or any similar setting provided by your mouse/trackpad driver)?

If so, turn it off.

mouse-click-lock.png

Hello Tactilis,

1. By this do you mean creating a Selection, for example by using the Rectangle Select tool?

Yes, I select the Rectangle Select tool, I then click and hold on the image and move to select the area I want to copy.

2. Do you mean that the Selection moves with the mouse, or does it change size with the mouse as if you are still drawing it?

The Selection changes size with the mouse as if I am still drawing it. The selection seems to be permanently attached to the mouse 

3. I have looked into my mouse settings and ClickLock was disabled. It is not in use.

Regards Peter

6 hours ago, PeterG said:

If I frame the image using the mouse, the framing tool refuses to release the rectangle

Do you mean when dragging the Rectangle Select around the image, like this?

frame.png

It works fine for me.  Could be your mouse perhaps?

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hello Pixey

Thank You, 

Yes I drag the rectangle around the image until I am satisfied with its position. Just as your

picture shows.

I have two laptops and this issue appears on both of them, the touchpad on each

behaves the same. as does a mouse.

It doesn't happen all the time, but to be honest it happens most of the time, ie, every time I use PaintNet !!,

its something that I have lived with for a long time, and I thought I should report it as it has become very annoying.

Regards Peter

25 minutes ago, PeterG said:

its something that I have lived with for a long time, and I thought I should report it as it has become very annoying.

Yes, it must be so annoying, and eve more so when one doesn't know why 😠

24 minutes ago, PeterG said:

really must say that your picture sums me up completely !!

And that's what I say to myself every day 🤣

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

The Selection changes size with the mouse as if I am still drawing it. The selection seems to be permanently attached to the mouse

On my Windows 11 laptop, I am able to reproduce exactly what you describe using either the touchpad or the mouse if I have ClickLock enabled.

On an older laptop running Windows 7 the equivalent touchpad setting is called Locking Drags. If I have this enabled, I get the same behaviour.

I believe that you have something like ClickLock or Locking Drags enabled somewhere.

Please try this experiment using the Rectangle Select tool:

1. Hold down the left mouse button, quickly drag out the selection, and then release the button. Do all of this very quickly.

Does this produce a selection that is not 'attached' to the mouse?

Now clear the selection and try this:

2. Hold down the left mouse button, slowly drag out the selection, and then release the button.

Does this produce a selection that is 'attached' to the mouse? i.e it keeps drawing as you move the mouse?

If the answer to 2 is yes, now do a single click of the left mouse button?

Does the single click 'detach' the selection from the mouse? i.e, you can now move the mouse without the selection changing?

Posted (edited)

Hello Tactilis,

Info, I am using Windows 11, and ClickLock is switched off...

1. Hold down the left mouse button, quickly drag out the selection, and then release the button. Do all of this very quickly.

Does this produce a selection that is not 'attached' to the mouse?

Yes,

But only initially is the selection NOT attached, then this issue appears.

Also, info.

If I press and hold the left mouse button when the rectangle IS attached to the mouse, the selected area as a whole

then moves around the screen with the mouse

Now clear the selection and try this:

2. Hold down the left mouse button, slowly drag out the selection, and then release the button.

Does this produce a selection that is 'attached' to the mouse? i.e it keeps drawing as you move the mouse?

Yes, 

But initially the selection is NOT attached, then this issue appears. As above...

Also, info,

If I press and hold the left mouse button when the rectangle IS attached to the mouse, the selected area as a whole

then moves around the screen with the mouse

If the answer to 2 is yes, now do a single click of the left mouse button?

Does the single click 'detach' the selection from the mouse? i.e, you can now move the mouse without the selection changing?

No,

Once a rectangle IS attached, I can never get it off using normal methods,

I have to select a different tool and then go back and select the

Rectangle Selection tool again.

Or

Open a new page and start again.

Tactilis, I am afraid both fast and slow use of the tool produce the same results and I apologise if

I haven't been very helpful, this is quite difficult to explain so bear with me if you will.

Regards Peter

Edited by PeterG

Posted (edited)

Hello,

Thats a very good point, I am not using an actual mouse, and I am sorry if I have confused things.

My laptop has two physical buttons and a touchpad, I move the cursor around the screen by sweeping my finger

over the the touchpad, so its my touchpad that is pulling the Rectangle Select tool around the screen.

However, tapping the touch pad or the left button does NOT release the rectangle from the cursor.

I have checked as many settings for the touch pad as I can find, and have not found anything

thats relevant to releasing the Rectangle Select tool other than the ClickLock setting, which is turned off.

Pressing the 'Escape' key has no effect either.

So I usually just select another tool, then immediately reselect the Rectangle Select tool.

Doing that is the only way I can get the Rectangle Select tool to release its seemingly permanent attachment to the cursor.

Regards Peter

Edited by PeterG

37 minutes ago, PeterG said:

I am not using an actual mouse, and I am sorry if I have confused things.

Ah, you did say:

On 7/10/2024 at 6:55 PM, PeterG said:

I have two laptops and this issue appears on both of them, the touchpad on each

behaves the same. as does a mouse.

I really don't think this is a paint.net issue. I still believe that you have some sort of 'Locking Drag' setting enabled for your touchpad.

What is the make and exact model of your laptops please?

Hello,

Yes, it probably isn't a PaintNet issue, but it did start happening by itself, and by that I mean, it didn't always happen.

I will just carry on as I am.

Many thanks for putting your time into it, its much appreciated. I shall keep delving into the settings to see what I can find,

but to be honest, over time I have looked everywhere I can.

I do actually use a mouse with one of the laptops but rarely.

I have two Lenovo laptops, I cant tell you what model one is at the moment but this one is as follows:

Many Thanks

Regards Peter

Device name    Laptop
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8365U CPU @ 1.60GHz   1.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID    66D50FCC-4679-401F-AC75-00B051788CDC
Product ID    00330-80000-00000-AA533
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    Touch support with 10 touch points

Edition    Windows 11 Pro
Version    23H2
Installed on    ‎24/‎08/‎2023
OS build    22631.3880
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22700.1020.0

9 minutes ago, PeterG said:

I have two Lenovo laptops

My guess is that your laptops have a Synaptics touchpad and that they have Device Settings something like this:

Synaptics-1.png

...and you have a Drag setting enabled:

Synaptics-2.png

The settings may not be exactly as above but there is some combination of settings and the way you are tapping the touchpad that is causing this problem.