Odd lines if slope is 1/2.

I've really liked this program so far. It will be a good replacement for the overpriced Photoshop. I have noticed a bug however. When a line is constructed with a slope of 1/2, the line deforms into "bumpy" uneven segments. I really need to be able to construct lines without anti aliasing at 1/2 slope intervals. I do a lot of traditional low color low resolution pixel art so anti aliasing cannot be used to smooth these odd bumps out. Many "isometric" drawings use the 1/2 slope line extensively. I would be interested in learning what causes this. Is this is an unintended effect of using a curve to model a line? These small dips do not appear in any other paint package that I know of.

Here is a screenshot. Double scale.

imagepv4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I hate to bump but the rules state that one may be used after 24 hours. I asked this to be moved to the bugs forum but it looks like the person who I asked might be a bit bogged down. This is a very annoying problem and I would like to see a possible fix in the future. Yes, I am using the most current version. I'm asking, is there any reasonable way to fix the line tool so it does not get crazy at certain angles? The line tool is one of the most primitive tools in any paint program. I do realize that this deep down inside is not strictly a line tool and perhaps the curve interpolation of the control points is the root of the "evil" here. I would really look foreword to a corrected tool in the upcoming versions.

I think you're having this problem because PdN is a bitmap image manipulator, rather than a vector manipulator. Thus, it is restricted to using pixels to form all the images it makes. Pixels, however, cannot be tilted, so if you draw a slanted line, the line the program actually draws is more of a "stair-step" line. Hence the weird-looking line. Anti-aliasing helps with this, also you could try to make the whole image larger, zoom out and set your line to 3 pixels wide or so.

Photobucket Sucks!

I'm not sure what you mean. I've never seen a raster paint program mess up a line drawing algorithm. The using thicker lines or anti aliased lines do not really fix the problem when lines need to be a single pixel thick. It is a very reasonable expectation for the line tool to function at the most basic level. Even the most simple of paint programs like Microsoft Paint can make the proper isometric lines. I do low color sprite work for my games so thicker lines are of no use and anti aliased lines are still thickened lines. Anti aliasing only works if one has a constant background or if fractional alpha channel can be used. Traditional sprite making lacks both. It appears that the program was created to further the tools of Microsoft's package but there is a bug in line tool. Not everyone today does photoshop looking logos and banners, there are whole communities of people insisting on 8 bit era art. This is why the single pixel line must still function normally.