PDN crashed when I updated Visual Studio 2022

I just updated Visual Studio 2022 from 17.3.6 to 17.8.6.

As soon as the VSInstaller started to download and update (i.e. not during the "Updating Installer" step but immediately thereafter), PDN, which had been sitting open in the background for at least several hours with just one screenshot clipping pasted onto the default canvas, crashed.

I don't know if this is something that you can or want to look into, but I thought
a) PDN would run independently and found it strange it would crash from updating an unrelated program, and
b) every exception may still be worth catching and handling gracefully rather than crashing the app altogether

Crash log attached.

pdncrash.1.log

12 hours ago, LWChris said:

open in the background for at least several hours with just one screenshot clipping pasted onto the default canvas, crashed.

The question is, does it still crash after re-opening PDN?

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

This sort of crash, which is a RecreateDeviceContextException on a software rendering path, usually only happens when there's low- or out-of-memory. But I don't see evidence of that in the crash log, the amount of physical memory and free pagefile looks fine 🤔

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

10 hours ago, Pixey said:

The question is, does it still crash after re-opening PDN?

No it doesn't. PDN never crashes for me. It was running for about 3 and a half hours. Then I updated VS, and the instant the updater starts it crashed, then never again. It would be insanely weird coincidence if this happened in exactly that moment and had nothing to do with it.

6 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

This sort of crash, which is a RecreateDeviceContextException on a software rendering path, usually only happens when there's low- or out-of-memory. But I don't see evidence of that in the crash log, the amount of physical memory and free pagefile looks fine 🤔

Yeah, my system has 16 GB and usually it's idling around 6-10 GB usage. What I find suspicious about this is the pagefile info from the crashlog.
It says "20.420 MB pagefile (4.018 MB free)". But my pagefile is set to a managed size of 4096-8192 MB. So "20.420 MB pagefile" doesn't make sense unless it's combining the 16 GB = 16384 MB RAM + 4096 MB pagefile = 20480 MB - 68.5 reserved for hardware = ~ 20420 MB, but this calculation seems far fetched. So in order to verify whether those numbers make sense, how can I calculate them?