Trouble with CTRL V

Hi! This is a bug that I have been dealing with since a few years, but now I realized that report it here would be useful to improve Paint.net.
So... The bug is that when you copy an image that touches the right edge of the canvas and then you paste the image in the right edge of the canvas, sometimes the picture will move one pixel to the left. It happens when your zoom is a bit far from the picture (when I made this it had 80% of zoom)

Here's what happens:

Pressing "CTRL + C"
image.png.7f42e31bf2945f9f6c6b455ca3ec0bf6.png
Pressing "CTRL + V" just then
image.png.c589e45d1261898206a73be709498b2d.png

Here's what happened
image.png.96720efd3821debe3a9369af30c0ab27.png

I want to say that this does not happen everytime, just sometimes. If you wanna see the bug by yourself you'll have to copy an image that touches the right edge of the canvas and paste it again, if the bug doesn't appear at first you'll have to repeat this process in many different zooms, until you find it. I'm sure you will find it quick because it happens a lot. (It won't work if you select all the canvas, you have to select a part of the image that doesn't touch the left edge)

It looks like something that is not important, but it's kind of annoying when I am copying drawings and pasting those into other files. However, I've been dealing with this long ago so I don't wanna make you feel in a hurry or something for this. I'm used to it. I don't feel like it's easy to fix it either.

I hope I can help improve paint.net with this. Have a good day! 

Edited by Pauls281
Changing font size

@Pauls281 Please go back and edit your post to remove all of the excessively large fonts. It appears that you are shouting and being very demanding of people's attention.

It's not pleasant for the readers. We can hear you if you just use the normal font size.

You've posted like this before. Please do not.

Posted (edited)

I am so sorry. I did it with the opposite intention, my pc shows the letters very small and it's kind of hard to read, I did it big because I thought it would be more comfy to read. My apologies.

Done.

Edited by Pauls281

34 minutes ago, Pauls281 said:

I am so sorry. I did it with the opposite intention, my pc shows the letters very small and it's kind of hard to read, I did it big because I thought it would be more comfy to read.

Understood. Thank you for changing it.

If the letters are small on your PC - because you have a high resolution screen perhaps - then you might want to look at Windows -> Settings -> Display -> Scale and set a suitable scale % so that the text is readable.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Are you using Microsoft Paint?

Or, Paint.NET?  The screenshots above look like MS Paint to me.

MS Paint looks like this:

image.png

Paint.NET looks like this:

image.png

Nope, I am usin' Paint.net. image.png.f3abaf733173435272f75877de96a15a.png

8 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

The screenshots above look like MS Paint to me

It's paint.net. Look at the centre of the selection.

@Pauls281, I think the 'problem' you are seeing is that when you paste, paint.net always ensures that as much as possible of the pasted area is visible on the screen.

Try this:

1. Select and copy an area from the middle of an image and then, without panning or zooming, paste the copied pixels. They will always pasted as a floating selection in exactly the same location that they were copied from.

2. Select and copy an area from the middle of an image and then zoom and/or pan the image, such that not all of the originally selected area is visible. Then when you paste, paint.net will position the pasted area such that all of it (or as much as is possible) is visible on the screen (but still within the bounds of the original image).

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Judging from the way (steps) you do, my first thought is that you should "crop" before you copy, and then paste :)

Oh, thanks but no, the problem is not at copying but pasting, when I copy a drawing that is in the right edge and then paste it again, it moves a bit.
The problem is when I am copying a drawing and then pasting it in another drawing. But well crop would not work, it would make the drawing appear at the left edge.
My post is because if you copy a drawing and then you paste it, it should paste in the same place it has been copied.
I hope it was clear now. ^_^

Edited by Pauls281

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Tactilis said:

It's paint.net. Look at the centre of the selection.

@Pauls281, I think the 'problem' you are seeing is that when you paste, paint.net always ensures that as much as possible of the pasted area is visible on the screen.

Try this:

1. Select and copy an area from the middle of an image and then, without panning or zooming, paste the copied pixels. They will always pasted as a floating selection in exactly the same location that they were copied from.

2. Select and copy an area from the middle of an image and then zoom and/or pan the image, such that not all of the originally selected area is visible. Then when you paste, paint.net will position the pasted area such that all of it (or as much as is possible) is visible on the screen (but still within the bounds of the original image).

Hm... When I copy and paste drawings from the middle it's in the same position but when copying and pasting from the right edge sometimes it moves a bit to the left.
What I do with this is check if the bug appeared, if it appeared I move the image 1 pixel to the right.
(I copy and paste a lot of images from the edges because I like to draw comics in paint.net, and lots of drawings are just touching the edges.)

However, I'm used to this bug because I deal with it since years, it's not really a problem to me now. But I wanted to report it so I can try to help improve paint.net.
Anyways, thanks for the info. ^_^

Edited by Pauls281

4 minutes ago, Pauls281 said:

but when copying and pasting from the right edge sometimes it moves a bit to the left.

If you zoom out so that the whole image is visible before pasting that I suspect that you will not encounter this problem.

You can use Ctrl+B to zoom to see the whole image and then Ctrl+B again to return to the original zoom level.

• Thanks 1