Gradient - Is there a way to narrow the transition?

Go to solution Solved by Lemonade,

I searched for answers, but English is not my native language and I don't really know what words to use. I found several tutorials on how to use the gradient tool, but none of them explains a way to adjust the transition width, if you know what I mean.

I'd like narrow the transition between the two colors, or when going from transparency to a color. Is there a way to do this? If there is I just can't find it.

gradient_transition.jpg.aeafb115f5b26bec13fa51b45caa764a.jpg

Edited by JackHalland

• JackHalland changed the title to Gradient - Is there a way to narrow the transition?

When you draw a gradient, the transition starts at your drawing point, and ends at your ending point. The areas outside of your drawing maintain the beginning and ending color. So just start in the middle draw as much as you want for a transition then stop.

Thank you for replying, but I realize now that my explanation and the image was faulty. I know how it works when drawing a linear gradient. Problem occurs when drawing a circular gradient and I want a short transition at the edges or corners. I could use the brush tool, but I use a mouse and I'm not super steady with my hand. It would have been nice if there would pop up one or two points to drag to adjust the width of the transition, once you have drawn the gradient. Is there a way to do that?

Edited by JackHalland

5 hours ago, JackHalland said:

drawing a circular gradient and I want a short transition at the edges or corners.

You can also use the gradient tool, but set to transparent mode, to further the transparency.

Here is a video I made once to show how to do this:

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• Solution
On 12/14/2023 at 9:21 AM, JackHalland said:

Thank you for replying, but I realize now that my explanation and the image was faulty. I know how it works when drawing a linear gradient. Problem occurs when drawing a circular gradient and I want a short transition at the edges or corners. I could use the brush tool, but I use a mouse and I'm not super steady with my hand. It would have been nice if there would pop up one or two points to drag to adjust the width of the transition, once you have drawn the gradient. Is there a way to do that?

Try out Gradient Mapping plugin (after installing, check under Adjustments):

hXxqrxaF_o.png

Edited by Lemonade