(meta)  -- Is there a way to UpVote a Msg  (or Topic=Thread),  as in Reddit ?

5d7lji0ibpyb1.png?width=289&auto=webp&s=

( Meta questions about forums.getpaint.net  )

1.   I'm not seeing  (designated)   places for   Meta   questions re: forums.getpaint.net  -- is there one?

2.    Nor any  special  forum for   Newbie  questions (or comments) -- is there one?

3.    Is there a way to UpVote a Msg  (or Topic=Thread),  as in Reddit ?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HenryH said:

forums.getpaint.net   is nice and Mellow.

(in Reddit)  DownVotes are sometimes used for Bullying or Harassment.

The Paint.NET forum is great.  It's a genuinely helpful, friendly place and 99.99% of posters respect that.

11 hours ago, HenryH said:

Is there a way to UpVote a Msg  (or Topic=Thread),  as in Reddit ?

You can react to a post by hovering your mouse pointer over the heart icon.

The reactions available are:
Post-reactions.png

EDITED to strike through the text below. See the solution two posts on.

@Forum Admins: Currently, the only icon that displays a tooltip is Hugs.

I had to discover what the others mean (they are not all obvious) by finding existing posts that have the reactions applied and hovering over those icons, because this does give a tooltip.

Could the forum be updated please so that tooltips are shown for all the icons please? This would help new or infrequent users a lot.

Edited by Tactilis
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, frio said:

The curse of tooltips strikes again, I get a proper tooltip for all the reactions.

Thanks for that information @frio

Investigating further, I've found that the lack of tooltips on the reaction icons is due to an odd interaction with the Imagus Add-on for Firefox & Chrome https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/imagus/ whose purpose is to enable full-sized images to be popped-up (plus some other useful image/video related functions) when hovering over any thumbnail image.

If I disable Imagus, then I see all the reaction tooltips.

The odd thing is that Imagus is configured to operate only if I hold down the Ctrl key, so it should not interfere while just hovering over the icons - and it doesn't explain why the 'Hugs' tooltip does appear. I'll report this problem to the Add-on's author.

Apologies for the incorrect bug report. It is not a forum problem. I've updated my post above.

15 hours ago, Tactilis said:

it doesn't explain why the 'Hugs' tooltip does appear.

Because love conquers all? Even rogue add-ons :mrviolet:

• Haha 2

Following up on my earlier post with a solution in case anyone else uses the Imagus browser add-on and runs into the problem of the forum reaction tooltips not appearing. Note: This solution is also applicable to the more recently updated Imagus mod add-on.

You need to go to the add-on's Preferences page, tick Advanced to display the additional settings, then in the Caption section tick Prevent tooltips.

Imagus-settings.png

I realise that setting 'Prevent tooltips' seems counter-intuitive but it is the right thing to do.

It works now:

Hooray-reaction.png

On 11/10/2023 at 12:19 PM, Tactilis said:

it doesn't explain why the 'Hugs' tooltip does appear.

It turns out that Hugs is simply a 32x32 image. There is nothing larger for Imagus to play with, so it ignores it and the tooltip always appears.
The other icons are actually 120x120 pixel images scaled down to 36x36 pixels and Imagus does its behind the scenes thing with them.

You can see in the above screenshot that the Hugs icon is smaller than the others.

In conclusion:
1.  It's not a forum problem (apart from the fact that Hugs is smaller than it should be and surely everyone prefers big hugs).
2. Users of Imagus (IMO, it's a very useful add-on) can easily restore the missing tooltips.

Thank you @HenryH for asking the original question and @frio for nudging me to investigate.

15 hours ago, Tactilis said:

It turns out that Hugs is simply a 32x32 image.

I made it 64x64. It looks smaller than the rest because the image doesn't completely fill the canvas.

• Like 1