Adding effects to the very large image breaks the transparency on PNG files

Go to solution Solved by toe_head2001,

When I tried to add noise to the image with absurdly large resolution (30720x17264),

ep5Xs1b.pngI get weird artifacts with broken transparency on the image,

while scaling it down at first to somewhat reasonable size (10630x5974) and adding noise

JztEnRq.pngworks just fine

Guessing a bug with Add Noise now that it runs on GPU. That or how PDN chunks out an image for parallelization, but that might've changed with the GPU stuff.

What's the exact width in pixels of those "bars" in the messed up image? If it's a power of two it might be important.

If you save the image, does it still look like that when you reopen it? (Probably should.)

What were the settings you ran for Add Noise, and can you recreate this bug after freshly starting paint.net? Being able to do that helps people try to recreate it

Thanks

22 minutes ago, NinthDesertDude said:

Guessing a bug with Add Noise now that it runs on GPU. That or how PDN chunks out an image for parallelization, but that might've changed with the GPU stuff.

What's the exact width in pixels of those "bars" in the messed up image? If it's a power of two it might be important.

If you save the image, does it still look like that when you reopen it? (Probably should.)

What were the settings you ran for Add Noise, and can you recreate this bug after freshly starting paint.net? Being able to do that helps people try to recreate it

Thanks

I tried disabling hardware acceleration, but looks like it doesn't help with effects.

The bars' widht is exactly 2048 pixels (I only measured the first and the last bars, but they look quite the same to my eyes). The image after saving is corrupted.

I tried reinstalling paint.net and rebooting my PC, the issue persists.

The settings for adding noise don't matter, putting everything to zero or to max values only changes the visibility of the image, so it apparently adds noise to the image but corrupts it.

Edited by bankaPepsi

• Solution
6 minutes ago, bankaPepsi said:

... Radeon RX 6750XT

You are affected by a Radeon driver bug.

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/122534-what-is-the-maximum-resulution-i-can-use-effects-and-stuff-without-my-images-getting-all-screwed-up/

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

@toe_head2001 has the right answer.

You have 3 possible choices:

1. Switch the rendering device to the CPU in Settings -> Graphics (this will cause a HUGE drop in performance though). (You can't just un-check the box at the top for hardware acceleration, that only controls the GPU usage for the UI.)
  2. Switch to an NVIDIA GeForce GPU
  3. Wait for AMD to fix the bug in their drivers. This also means you need to install updated drivers on occasion to see if it's fixed. AMD is aware of the bug, I've talked to someone there about it. Hopefully they get it fixed, but I don't currently know when/if that will happen.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg