Can this be done with Paint.net?

Welcome @_Hunter_ to the forum :) 

Yes it can.  But you need to learn how to use paint.net first.

Here is a tutorial which should help you:

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thank you, @Pixey :)

This (learning Paint.net) would be the ultimate solution, true. However, even this tutorial you linked requires plugins not part of the vanilla Paint.net program.

I think this is exactly the hard part - knowing what plugins exist and where to find them... and of course how to combine them...

Other than this - yes - awesome video, way above my (current) level of using the tool.

Edited by _Hunter_

You can learn how to install Plugins here

A simple way to do what you want, is to find which font you need.  Then find the texture you want.

SPACE-select.png

1.  Select the text with the magic wand - set to Global

2.  Click on the concrete layer and use Ctrl + I to invert the selection and then click delete.

3.  Uncheck the text layer.

4.  Finally, with your first color on black, use an Outline selection to outline the text.

Outline.png

If you are just starting out using Plugins, I suggest you download @BoltBait's pack

found here:  https://www.boltbait.com/pdn/

Also, to find things, we have a great SEARCH on here, which should help you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks, @Pixey. The steps above are easy even for me, however there is more into my target style, which I cannot replicate, that's why I asked here. What I still cannot really do is:

1) The letters are actually 3D with perspective... I see now this is not very well represented on the example I gave, I butchered it while cutting it out :/ But actually the black is the depth of the letters and is also kinda reflective.

2) The thin outline is not one color (easy, as in your steps above), but is actually a gradient, which the Outline plugin cannot do (I think?). I can mimic this partially by outlining with 2 pixels and filling with gradient in another layer, but the result looks suboptimal.

3) The curvature is again rather "stretched" only from below, otherwise I could use the Gravity plugin to follow a predefined elliptic path.
So yeah, I am reading and searching, but somehow not finding what I need... that's why asking... I was hoping for such kind of 3D text there is already a plugin I am not finding yet...

5 minutes ago, _Hunter_ said:

I was hoping for such kind of 3D text there is already a plugin I am not finding yet...

We do have this one:

30b8T8B.gif

Thanks again! :)

This looks very powerful, have to invest more time to experiment with it... or watch a tutorial if I find some.
However, while experimenting, I found Grid Warp by pyrochild, which I think would do the job with the right image positioning. Would be great if it would be possible to reposition the grid... but it is also pretty awesome as it is!! (image below... ofc very early stage).

Thanks a lot for your support, much appreciated.

image.png.46aa34bf2489064068af586cddf115ea.png

• Hugs 1