Cannot open Google Photo in Paint.Net

Go to solution Solved by toe_head2001,

I took a photo with my cell, and uploaded it to Google Photos. It is 12 megapixels. If I download it, or copy-paste into Paint.Net, it reduces to less than 70k. If I try to open it from Paint.Net, I get an error. I would like to make edits to the image before uploading it to a site for printing while maintaining high resolution. Any suggestions?

• Solution

Google Photos doesn't allow you to download the original image files you uploaded. Instead you get a modified/compressed copy.

If want/need an original, you need to retain a backup of it outside of Google Photos.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Thanks for your help.

I took a screenshot of the photo in Google Photos, pasted it into Paint.Net, and saved it as jpeg. It was about 200kb. Better, but not good enough. However, your remarks sparked an idea. I connected my phone to my laptop, and opened the original photo from within Paint.Net, saved it at the highest quality available (sans edits--just as a test), and it was about 6 MB. Not perfect, but good enough. I'm going to make my edits now, and hopefully I'll end up with a 6MB file barring unforeseen circumstances. Then, I'll update/close this report. 

Thanks, again.

• Like 1