Newbie here searching for text color

Go to solution Solved by HyReZ,

I just found paint.net, very impressed.  But it is so different.  So until I can find my way, I am like a fish out of water :)  My main reason for using software like this, I like to scan pictures and text the name right on the digital photo.

So far I discovered to choose the text tool then I can type right on the photo.  But if I want to move the name to a different area of the photo, I would need to change text color depending on if my white name is on a white sky, or my black name is over a dark forest.  So far I have not found a way to select the name and change the color of the text.  I like the way the little square can drag text, neat!

My other situation, sometimes a photo needs more description than a name.  I learned how to enlarge the canvas on the bottom only, for a 2 line description.  But if the added canvas appears as black, how would I change it to white?  Or vice versa.

Thanks,

Jane

Greetings,

The best feature of Paint.Net is layering.
Simply put your text on a seperate transparent layer and then you can move the layer over the image to where ever you like.

I do this when placing my logo or watermark.

You can even save the text layer as a seperate file and use it again over a different image.

(you will not be able to edit the text after its saved!)

If you do not save as a PDN your layers will be flaten and merged with the lower image.

Check these out:
https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WorkingWithLayers.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz32lb6Jgy8

Edited by HyReZ

Wonderful, it works!  I can do layers, and one time in my experimenting I did get the text to change color, simply by clicking on the color wheel.  Then when loading a different photo I couldn't make the text change (didn't add a later).  So that's the secret then, good to know.

Thanks!

Jane

@Jane Anderson 

In case you are wondering how to get to the documentation, it can be is accessed:

- here https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/

- or by pressing F1

- or via the :Help: icon, top right of the window:

image.png.e90b3af267e2e03864ac2ec28cef7c9a.png

Paint.NET is packed with capabilities. You discover a lot by careful reading of the very well written documentation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jane Anderson said:

but the added canvas appears as black, how would I change it to white?  Or vice versa.

Select the black and hit delete, or vice versa :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.