Cover object in image in a substance

I am working on a video which has a scene with a person getting covered in milk. I couldn't find anything else on the net (maybe I'm just using the wrong search terms). So how would one go about covering an object from an image in a fluid (milk, slime, honey etc)? Everything I've tried looks like rubbish.

Edited by More-Than-Weird Al

If what you are trying to achieve is a motion graphic effect rather than a static graphic effect, you will need a program like Adobe After effects, which is a commerial product. There are free + open source alternatives that can do the job, such as Natron and Blender, but they are not easy to learn to use effectively.

Edited by HyReZ

10 hours ago, HyReZ said:

If what you are trying to achieve is a motion graphic effect rather than a static graphic effect, you will need a program like Adobe After effects, which is a commerial product. There are free + open source alternatives that can do the job, such as Natron and Blender, but they are not easy to learn to use effectively.

I get that, but I only need to add such an effect for one still image, so I wanted to know how to do in in Paint.net

It is a good thing to ask questions ir helps as a guide to solutions.

There is a saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Provide an example of what you are trying to achieve an maybe someone here can come up with a similar result that fits your need.

Edited by HyReZ

15 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

It is a good thing to ask questions ir helps as a guide to solutions.

There is a saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Provide an example of what you are trying to achieve an maybe someone here can come up with a similar result that fits your need.

I basically want to do something like what is shown here: https://blog.designcrowd.com/article/892/creating-honey-covered-objects-photoshop-tutorial

I was worried the methods shown might not be applicable to Paint.net (Though I am kinda hoping I'm proven wrong). 

Clarification

You have a great tutorial that explains the necessary steps and Paint.NET has those capablities.

You will need to use a bunch of layers and a good artist hand & eye when using the tools, but go for it!

Example Screen Capture: (Using the Lasso Tool on Layer C)
1737945933_Screenshot2022-03-0705_06.00_A.jpg.d33bd6dbb0e4f5ae39e8c8cbb1615f7e.jpg

Edited by HyReZ

Hello @More-Than-Weird Al and welcome to the forum :)

An easier way than the tutorial, would be for you to find some milk images on the web and remove the background via:  https://www.remove.bg/

Have your person on one layer, the milk on another and use Shape 3D to 'blend' the milk.

cover-head-in-milk.png     <  Clickable  >

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2022 at 8:16 PM, Pixey said:

Hello @More-Than-Weird Al and welcome to the forum :)

An easier way than the tutorial, would be for you to find some milk images on the web and remove the background via:  https://www.remove.bg/

Have your person on one layer, the milk on another and use Shape 3D to 'blend' the milk.

cover-head-in-milk.png     <  Clickable  >

In all honesty, I wanted a more uneven looking splatter so this won't work. Thanks anyway and sorry for the late response.

Also I never knew you could combine 3d shapes with the plugin so I learnt something useful anyhow.