TIFF image file size increases after i crop it

Hello. I am trying to process scans of a music album's cover & compact disc. The images that the scanner produced have A4 paper sheet's aspect ratio and bigger part of them is plain white space that i want to crop out. The problem is after i do, the resulting image's file size is multiple times that of the original. For example:

Input: 4956x7009 1,34 Mb

Output: 2871x2882 11,7 Mb

All i did is cropped out parts of the image that are nothing but plain white color. How come the result turns out to be bigger than the original?

Just now, BoltBait said:

Zip up one of your original images and post it here (just make sure it is family-friendly) and someone will download it and let you know what's going on.

Even archived, it is above the maximum allowed file size to attach to my post here, so instead of that here is a link of an image in question on a file hosting website:

Your original image is using JPEG compression in a TIFF container.

Paint.NET is saving the image using LZW lossless compression in a TIFF container.

So there's your answer: lossless compression vs lossy JPEG compression.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Just now, toe_head2001 said:

Your original image is using JPEG compression in a TIFF container.

Paint.NET is saving the image using LZW lossless compression in a TIFF container.

So there's your answer: lossless compression vs lossy JPEG compression.

That's unfortunate to hear. I thought i picked the best possible settings on the scanner. So how do i crop it without both losing in quality and increasing in size then? Now, even if i try to save cropped image as JPEG, it still turns out to be bigger than the uncropped original unless i set the "quality" parameter to 85 or lower.

4 hours ago, Genoard said:

So how do i crop it without both losing in quality and increasing in size then?

I suggest you use a lossless format when scanning if one is available, even if it's the inefficient BMP format. It doesn't really matter which lossless format you use, since they'll all give the same pixels.  After you've cropped it, you can save it in JPEG format if you want to save space. However, if you want to edit some more, you should also save the cropped image in a lossless format.