Jump to content

Presetting 'Save As Type' field


Recommended Posts

Hi! I have been using your program for many years now and prefer it to any other paint program out there. I am at present going through my book library in Calibre Database, correcting any covers identified as the wrong size. I have over 7,000 books in the library so it's taking some time. One small irritation is, that after resizing the cover and moving to SAVE, it always defaults to png. where as I am using jpg.!

I don't know anything about programing but is it possible to make it so a default file type can be designated, thereby having jpg. as the Save As Type that always comes up first?

Thanks for a great program,

Regards, Paul G

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Paul & welcome to the forum 😊 I have to say Woodgnome
is a terrific username !

 

I also use Calibre, so your question intrigued me. I've not seen an error with covers being the wrong size. I always assumed they would be resized to fit.

 

The author of Calibre is quite open to requests. Have you considered filing a feature request with him?

 

On to your problem: it sounds like you are recreating the covers on a blank canvas. Are you pasting the original onto a new canvas? Doing this with a single layered image will default to PNG when you save, as you have found.

 

You would be better to open the original image file (the jpg). After editing, you simply Save. Unless you have added layers, the edited file will replace the original without further intervention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 6:59 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Hi Paul & welcome to the forum 😊 I have to say Woodgnome
is a terrific username !

 

I also use Calibre, so your question intrigued me. I've not seen an error with covers being the wrong size. I always assumed they would be resized to fit.

 

The author of Calibre is quite open to requests. Have you considered filing a feature request with him?

 

On to your problem: it sounds like you are recreating the covers on a blank canvas. Are you pasting the original onto a new canvas? Doing this with a single layered image will default to PNG when you save, as you have found.

 

You would be better to open the original image file (the jpg). After editing, you simply Save. Unless you have added layers, the edited file will replace the original without further intervention.

Hi and thanks for your prompt reply.

Calibre is not showing any problems and, as you say, the covers display fine as they are automatically adjusted for display.

I have started using Calibre Companion on my Samsung Phone and Tablet (which is excellent by the way!) but I don't think the program as as sophisticated as Calibre. It displays differing sizes of book covers which made me look at the cover sizes in Calibre itself. Some were actually very large (3000x4000pixels) whilst others tiny which was obviously causing the difference in Calibre Companion.

That's when I decided to reformat the covers. Firstly to reduce the huge ones, saving space and secondly, to make Calibre Companion look better.

 

How I reformat them is by right clicking the cover picture in the Calibre Metadata Screen - Copy. 

Open Paint.Net - Edit - Paste as New Image. (cover is displayed)

Click - Image - Resize - (enter pixel size (327x500) then close Paint.Net with Red X in right top corner. (I do this as I don't know which covers are going to need changing).

The Unsaved Changes Screen  appears - click Save. The SAVE AS screen appears with File Name box and Save as Type box (with PNG selected). This is were I have to change to jpg.

 

The quickest way I have found of filtering through the covers is using the next/previous buttons on the EDIT METADATA screen and editing them through Paint.Net. I have to save the changed cover to a designated folder to then browse in the Change Cover area of Calibre to change to the resized cover.

 

As I stated in my post, I have no knowledge of programming and don't have any idea if what I suggested would even be possible. What I'm doing in Calibre might be a symptom of undiagnosed OCD but it keeps me happy! The original jpg's (as far as I'm aware) are stored in each individual book folder and would take forever to go through and even I'm not that compulsive!

If, with your expert knowledge of Paint.Net, there is another way of speeding up the process (which is of my own making anyway!) I would be exceptionally grateful!

Yours,

Woodgnome  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Woodgnome said:

How I reformat them is by right clicking the cover picture in the Calibre Metadata Screen - Copy. 

Open Paint.Net - Edit - Paste as New Image. (cover is displayed)

Click - Image - Resize - (enter pixel size (327x500) then close Paint.Net with Red X in right top corner. (I do this as I don't know which covers are going to need changing).

The Unsaved Changes Screen  appears - click Save. The SAVE AS screen appears with File Name box and Save as Type box (with PNG selected). This is were I have to change to jpg.

 

As I suspected, you're pasting the image onto a blank canvas.

 

Try this ...

  1. Use file explorer to find the oversize image
  2. Right click > open with paint.net
  3. Resize.
  4. Save using Ctrl + S. As the file is known, you won't have to specify a filename, extension or location. Ctrl + S will save the resized image over the original.
  5. Close the image.
  6. Go back to 1.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

 

As I suspected, you're pasting the image onto a blank canvas.

 

Try this ...

  1. Use file explorer to find the oversize image
  2. Right click > open with paint.net
  3. Resize.
  4. Save using Ctrl + S. As the file is known, you won't have to specify a filename, extension or location. Ctrl + S will save the resized image over the original.
  5. Close the image.
  6. Go back to 1.

Thanks very much for your help, I give it a try!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...