Request: option to type text with background color or highlight

Hi,

I'd like to see an option that allows you to type text with a background color, or alternatively allows you to highlight text.

It's something that's easy to do in Gmail and Word (see attached screenshots) but not possible in Paint.net yet. It looks like it would be easy to add that option because the F8 color option already allows you to select a primary and secondary color.

If you search the forum and Google for this feature you'll find many people asking for this.  The only option to do this right now is to add a layer behind it and us a pen tool to add the color, but that takes an extra step and you won't get a perfect straight background with that.

Thanks

JP

gmail-text-background-color.jpg.8523bf8a46b0f38d4d151099e5f3cd6e.jpg

word-text-highlight-color.jpg.f67819e77792bffaea5cab637ac0bdbf.jpg

Hello @JeePeeNL and Welcome to the forum :)

Paint.net is not a text editor.  But you can do the same thing with layers, like this:

HL.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 5 months later...
On 10/10/2019 at 2:51 PM, Pixey said:

Hello @JeePeeNL and Welcome to the forum :)

Paint.net is not a text editor.  But you can do the same thing with layers, like this:

I see this just now, didn't receive a notification.

My post is a feature request. Not a complaint.

I know PDN is not a text editor. My Word example is just an example to show how it can easily be implemented.

Your layers suggestion isn't good enough. It requires several extra steps to do that: if I have 3 lines likes in the example of my original post, I need to

1. type the text
  2. add a layer with the multiply setting
  3. select the first line
  4. give a color
  5. repeat 1 to 4 twice for the other two lines.

That's 12 steps while my suggestion with the primary and secondary color allows you to do that in 2 steps.