Exported PNG looks different in different image viewers

Hello. I just exported PNG image from Paint Net and it looks different in different viewers and editors. And most important - it looks as worst variant in game where I need this image. There is example how it looks on my computer with different editors:

Paint Net, Paint, Microsoft Image Viewer, Browser - (fine): 

IrfanView, SnagIt, game - (black artifacts at down and top right): 

I tried some online photo editors to resave image but issue with image is still left.

I would appreciate a guide how to make my PNG image looks the same in all editors and in the game.

Images I want to use:

Edited by paveld

Hello @paveld and Welcome to the forum :)

Your example looks like it's transparent.  Have you used the correct setting when saving to .png?

Auto-detect.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hello, I used all available settings from list, and it still differs. Can you resave one of images I sent? So I will check if this is my paint net version problem or it is problem in all versions

Update: tried GIMP to save image with lot of different options and it did the same as Paint Net. This is not Paint Net problem, maybe it is problem of PNG as a format. So I'm wonder if there is other way to save image that will work same in all software. Because if I took other images it mostly works fine everywhere.

Edited by paveld

@paveld

I look at the Exchangeable image file ( Exif) data of my .PNG files created in Paint.NET and could not find any data on how it saves the gamma (gAMA). It is possible to save the gamma setting in a .PNG image, but some images viewers ignore this setting. Images can look more or less contrasty (my word 🙂 ) depending on its gamma setting. This may be the cause of various viewer/editors displaying you image differently. I prefer a gamma ~1.6. Others prefer settings between 1.5 - 2.0.

Edited by HyReZ

@HyRez probably some settings of PNG format. But I tried everything. Look, this image is 100% working fine in all software that I have:

And then I made my own image that looks identical and it is working bad as I show above, not in every software. Both images have transparency. Idk what wrong with it. Can you compare both images and spot any difference in settings?

I opened your above image in Paint.Net and I see that it is a gray scale image with an alpha channel so that it is transparent.
I also see that it contains ~254 shades of gray. Is this what you are trying to create? Do you need 254 shades of gray?

The other PNGs above this one, have lower color counts. Two of your .PNG images have a 32bit color depth while the Mad City image has an 8bit color depth and only 95 shades of gray.

Edited by HyReZ
  • Like 1