Need help toggling layers and using the fill tool.

I'm trying to colorize a manga, and right now I would really like having the option to toggle the bottom (original) layer on and off, to see where gaps are appearing when I use the fill tool. Also, speaking of the fill tool, I have a major issue when using it to replace a color that I goofed on. In an area that already has color, when I choose to fill it in with a new color, not only does it replace the color of that one particular area, but also the color that is next to it. So, for example, if I had a blue sky, and a red bird, if I thought the sky was a too bright of a shade of blue, I would replace it with a darker blue, only, get this, the red bird is now a blue bird, and it's the same color as that of the sky!

If there is anyway to fix these two problems that would help me out a lot. If, however, what I am currently trying to do is beyond the program, is there a suggestion box to put this in?

1 hour ago, ande85 said:

I would really like having the option to toggle the bottom (original) layer on and off, to see where gaps are appearing when I use the fill tool.

To disable a layer, you can uncheck its checkbox.

1 hour ago, ande85 said:

In an area that already has color, when I choose to fill it in with a new color, not only does it replace the color of that one particular area, but also the color that is next to it. So, for example, if I had a blue sky, and a red bird, if I thought the sky was a too bright of a shade of blue, I would replace it with a darker blue, only, get this, the red bird is now a blue bird, and it's the same color as that of the sky!

Try lowering the Tolerance in the toolbar.

And/or disable the Anti-Aliasing in the toolbar.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Hello @ande85 and Welcome to the forum :)

Here is a tutorial on painting Manga's.  You will see how to use the 'magic wand tool' and to add new layers in order to paint exactly where you want the paint to go.

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

55 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

To disable a layer, you can uncheck its checkbox.

Nah...your kidding me. :P I meant to do it by using a keyboard shortcut. If I could just hit a few buttons, and toggle viability on and off, that would help me out a lot.

55 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Try lowering the Tolerance in the toolbar.

And/or disable the Anti-Aliasing in the toolbar.

I found anti-aliasing on the toolbar, but not 100% sure on how that will help. Sorry...bit of a noob here. As for tolerance do you mean when using the magic wand, because I did some looking, and really couldn't find much about it.

@Pixey

Thank you...I'll start reading it right now. Usually I use a stylus to do my work, but since I'm going about one page a day using that method, I'll see how well this works.

16 minutes ago, ande85 said:

I found anti-aliasing on the toolbar, but not 100% sure on how that will help. Sorry...bit of a noob here.

It will affect the edges of the fill region.

16 minutes ago, ande85 said:

As for tolerance do you mean when using the magic wand, because I did some looking, and really couldn't find much about it.

No, I mean when using the Fill tool, as you stated.

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/PaintBucket.html#4

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab