Open Recent Files Option and Bug report link

Hi,

I have been using PaintNet for years and years and have the latest version installed, ver 4.0.21

Many times since the PaintNet ver 4.0.21 installation the open 'Recent Files' option

seems to randomly clear its contents completely between a program startup.

I have never seen this happening before...

One other thing is that the option to send a bug report just opens my browser (Chrome)

and has no link in the address bar to navigate to, the browser just fires up and sits there, address bar blank and waiting for something to do.

Any ideas ?

Regards, Peter

2 minutes ago, PeterG said:

One other thing is that the option to send a bug report just opens my browser (Chrome)

and has no link in the address bar to navigate to, the browser just fires up and sits there, address bar blank and waiting for something to do.

Sounds like you have Chrome set as the default email program in Windows. Weird. Go into the Windows Settings, and change it to an actual email program (assuming you use one, and not a webmail)

4 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Many times since the PaintNet ver 4.0.21 installation the open 'Recent Files' option

seems to randomly clear its contents completely between a program startup. 

Do any of the setting of paint.net also get reset to their defaults? That is, if you had previous changed them.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

20 minutes ago, PeterG said:

You must not have an email client setup on your computer--like Outlook, etc.

This, basically, is an email link to <snip>  :arrow-left: What happens when you click that link?

6 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Just the 'Recently opened files list clears itself completely....

Do you use any software utilities that might clear MRUs from different programs? For example: BleachBit, CCleaner, ect.

2 minutes ago, PeterG said:

... the PaintNet bug report option doesnt give me anything at all, so I cannot proceed. 

You can proceed by setting a default email program in the Windows Settings, or simply save the email address in your email contacts.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

6 minutes ago, PeterG said:

PaintNet bug report option doesnt give me anything at all, so I cannot proceed.

As I said, this is because you don't have a proper email client setup on your computer.

This is a standard way to launch an email client. But, Paint.NET can't do much if you don't have one installed.

So, for you, just post your bug reports here at the forum.

Or, if you'd like to install a free email client, look at this list:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-of-the-best-desktop-email-clients-for-windows-that-dont-cost-a-dime/

toe_head2001,

I use gmail, its fine, thankyou for the advice but I think I shall leave it as it is.

My main reason for doing that is to ensure my mail is available after a computer total failure,

no installations of a client or anything. It works just fine.

Now I have the email link BoltBait has offeredI can use it

Thankyou 

Regards Peter

Thankyou everyone,

Its been a great help,  I can proceed now.

I have no idea of the link addresses to use when I need to and am 'just' a user trying to give info that may help with some bug or something.

Would it not be easier for PaintNet to display the link as a standard option within its dialogues, ie, <snip>

It would help a lot.

Many thanks, Regards Peter

Edited by BoltBait
Removed email address.