DDS Problem: erased area is not transparent

hello

I edited some texture DDS files for my game

just as title, I erased some part of texture cuz wanted it to be transparent

and it worked for some texture files but other files got problems 

I selected area, pressed Delete, white and grey checkerboard appeared,No other background layer presents,so I saved it as DDS DXT5 and erased area turns into white

what have I done wrong and what should I do?

Edited by DDSnoob

Any format that supports an alpha channel should save the area as transparent, and DDS DX5 supports alpha, as far as I could tell with a quick search.

What do you mean by saying the transparent area "turns into white"?  Do you mean when you later used the file in another program it was white instead of transparent, or do you mean it was white when you reloaded the saved file into PDN, or do you mean after you did the save, the formerly transparent region in the original image was white? If it was white when you tried to use it in a different program, is it white when you reopen the image in PDN?

EDIT: My version of PDN offers to save files as DDS, and I don't have a DDS FileType plugin, so I assume that means DDS files are a native file type and not done by a plugin.

1 hour ago, MJW said:

Any format that supports an alpha channel should save the area as transparent, and DDS DX5 supports alpha, as far as I could tell with a quick search.

What do you mean by saying the transparent area "turns into white"?  Do you mean when you later used the file in another program it was white instead of transparent, or do you mean it was white when you reloaded the saved file into PDN, or do you mean after you did the save, the formerly transparent region in the original image was white? If it was white when you tried to use it in a different program, is it white when you reopen the image in PDN?

When I use that texture DDS image in game

And I think I found the reason that makes it not transparent. 

Thanks for help

Edited by DDSnoob

• toe_head2001 changed the title to DDS Problem: erased area is not transparent