Problems installing after Windows10 Update

Read this (post #2) about the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/692-install-update-or-uninstall-trouble-read-this/page__view__findpost__p__2795

Try running that and see if you can remove any traces of paint.net which might be interfering with the installation.

Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting the link - that looks interesting!

• 3 months later...

Hi there, 

I think i'm having a similar problem - although it could just be a coincidence that i'm trying to install a new version the day after updating to Windows 10. I'm currently using an old version of paint.net 3.5.11 but would like to install newest version. But I'm getting the attached error message. 

Is it something to do with the Microsoft's .NET Framework 4.6? Would I already have this if I have an the old version?

Does anyone have any advice on how to sort this problem? 

Thanks so much, 

Laura 

Hi Laura, welcome to the forum :D

Version 4.0+ requires .NET 4.6. The older version (3.5.11) did not require that (I forget which it worked with). So you may not have it installed. I don't know what comes with Win 10.

Best bet: install .NET 4.6 manually then reboot then update paint.net.

Manually install .NET 4.6: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49982