How can I draw a Rectangle (shape) with some shadow on it to highlight some portion of image?

jerrygoyal

As far as I know I can't draw a Shape (for highlighting purpose) like a rectangle with some shadow which makes it little 3D and cool.

You can refer below image:

vCCljxu.png

Can I do this in paint.net?

Can it be done without adding new layer?

Edited by jerrygoyal

Add a new layer and use the Drop Shadow effect. You can draw shapes other than just rectangles using the Shapes tool.

drop-shadow-effects-4dfb0a6.png

Thanks for the solution :)

It would be great if someone can add it as an official feature in paint.net like an option next to "Brush width" or "style". Right now It is not that handy i.e. I have to go through a series of steps to add a shadowed rectangle.

Anyway Paint.net is awesome :)

thanks guys for your valuable inputs but I was looking for something simple and handy. I  just need the highlighting rectangle with some shadow on it. I  adjust the width/height/position of rectangle all the time to highlight portion of images. Shadow will look cool on highlighted rectangle/ellipses etc.

Can it be done without adding new layer?

Edited by jerrygoyal

I can't think of an (easy) way to do it without a new layer, but really, layers are one of the easiest parts of the whole process.  As you use them they become second nature.  Give it a shot.  I promise we're not making it overcomplicated.

Eli's response is the best:

Add a new layer and use the Drop Shadow effect. You can draw shapes other than just rectangles using the Shapes tool.

drop-shadow-effects-4dfb0a6.png

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.