Paint in public school?

I am a high school teacher in a suburban school in New England (Rhode Island), The administration wants to set up a graphic arts & digital photogrpahy program for next year. I presently have 24 Dells w/ Windows XP & Microsoft office suite (Publisher) for the desktop publishing part , money is very tight and the admin will not even consider Adobe CS2, no less CS3. The IT person for the district suggested I look at Paint as a possible program to use for the digital photo class. I have downloaded the program to my personal computer and have registered. I am having marginal success in understanding the program and what it can do. What I am looking for is, first and most important, tutorials to get me started and possibly use in my classes (as I have very little experience with Photoshop or other digital editing programs). Second, Can I import the images generated in paint to use in Publisher and vice versa?

Thanks -Ken- kjmvas@gmail.com