Is there an easy way to stretch shadows out behind objects?

I was just trying to stretch the shadow out behind some text and tried to make it appear as if it were laying on the ground at a 45 degree angle. After creating the shadow, I tried to stretch it out using the nubs but was only able to stretch it horizontally or vertically.

My question...

How do I stretch the shadow diagonally while keeping the base lined up with the base of the text? Am I missing something under Distort or do I need a plugin to make it easier?

Thanks for the welcome Sabrown! :)

I was previously familiar with the oblique tool and had used it but I was wondering if there was an easier way to achieve the effect? To use the Oblique tool, I have to...

1. Create the text.

2. Duplicate the layer.

3. Select the new layer.

4. Wand the Text

5. Darken the text on the new layer using curves.

6. Use the Oblique tool to stretch the new text, and then repeat it 2 or 3 times to stretch the text out enough.

7. Then I move the "shadow layer" to line up with the "Text layer".

The Oblique tool also creates translucent gaps on the background that need to be filled as the final step.

All of these steps are easy enough, but I was wondering if there was a way to eliminate some of them. Is there anything available that would allow me to create the shadow layer, select the corners and just drag it into position?

And on a side note and totally off topic... How do I create screenshots? I've tried the "Print Screen" button thinking that had something to do with it, but its been years (Windows 95) since I actually needed to make a screenshot, and I've forgotten how its done. :oops:

1. Create the text.

2. Duplicate the layer.

3. Select the new layer.

4. Wand the Text

5. Darken the text on the new layer using curves.

6. Use the Oblique tool to stretch the new text, and then repeat it 2 or 3 times to stretch the text out enough.

7. Then I move the "shadow layer" to line up with the "Text layer".

The Oblique tool also creates translucent gaps on the background that need to be filled as the final step.

All of these steps are easy enough, but I was wondering if there was a way to eliminate some of them. Is there anything available that would allow me to create the shadow layer, select the corners and just drag it into position?

You are not using the Oblique correctlly.

1. Add new layer so the text is on it's own and not on the same layer with the background. (Doing this already saved you a few steps later on)

2. Dup the text layer.

3. Select bottom text layer (Shadow layer), then use the Oblique plugin.

Check the setting. you can get almost any angle you want, there's no need to run the plugin more than once. (Hint:Steps factor)

3a. Use black & white and/or Brightness/ Contrast to make the shadow black. (Or you can always type it again in black color)

4. Use Panelling pligin move Horizontal to align the shadow to the text.

Done.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]