Export feature added to the file menu?

I saw this post that talked about export since I was looking for a way to quickly save as png without flattening. I work using the pdn format but I save to png 32 bit. It would be nice to have an Export feature in the file menu separate from the save options. Basically just hit export and it brings up the normal dialogs for saving but just saves the image leaving me with the pdn as I continue working.

I'm sure you've realized that not everyone wants to work in png and destroy their layers just because they need to upload for the web really quick. At the moment (as you know) when working on a pdn you have to do save as, select png from the file types and hit save, hit okay on the dialog, click flatten, now you have a png file with a new name if you changed it, then hit ctrl+z to get your layers back, press ctrl+s to save and since it has layers it pops up to save as pdn, rename back to old name and save. It's a lot of steps.

So an alternative would be click Export and if you've exported before it already has the name and file type you want filled in ready to overwrite your last export then click save have that dialog pop up for the bit type and click okay and you're done.

It would be even simpler if you merged the save dialog into the image setting dialog then you could hit Export and hit an export button and be done in two clicks. A lot more work though at a minor usability gain.

Once again, it's convenient over practicability. Did you read through the entire post, and read Rick's response to the original poster's argument? It will also require major tweaking with the code, I'm sure, and that's just something I doubt Rick would be interested in doing. I may be wrong (God know I have been proven wrong before :D), but this is something I can hear Rick saying, "Not gonna happen."

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

Thanks for replying. Thought this was just going to drop off the page.

Once again, it's convenient over practicability. Did you read through the entire post, and read Rick's response to the original poster's argument?
Yes. His argument was to redo the save as dialog which is ridiculous. I'm saying that that it should use the tried and tested separate export feature found in other image editors. The only comment of Rick's that scares me is:
The UX* is obtuse on purpose.

But yeah it seems like Rick has the best intentions for the UI in mind, so it's probably just a matter of time.

It will also require major tweaking with the code, I'm sure, and that's just something I doubt Rick would be interested in doing
The project is closed source, so I can't refute that, but if he's abstracted the code then he already has all the code to save all the formats and to flatten layers. Actually he has the code to everything already that would be required by the export feature. If anything it shouldn't be more than "duplicating" what the save as feature does with the intention of creating a tag of the current working file as another file and continuing to work on the main file. How much work that would involve is debatable, but I'm sure Rick knows.

• 2 weeks later...

An Export option would be simpler, I agree.

=============================

To save out a PNG then return to working on the

PDN file, this way works now and is a bit simpler

than what was detailed in the first post.

Save As.. AnyName.pdn

Open a new file.

From the new file, Layers > Import from File...

Import the file that you just saved.

Delete the bottom default white background layer.

Save As... PNG.

Edited by Sarkut

• 1 year later...