How to Install Plugins ×

Ed Harvey Effects v 5.0 (2022-12-24)

Ed Harvey

@Ed Harvey Hello, I've tried to install this plug-in and I'm not sure if it's working correctly. Would it be possible to add a screenshot of where to find this plugin in the paint.net menu? It would help people like me to know if it's working or not.

Thanks for all the effort you've put into these plugins.

Edited by tieTYT

3 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

@tieTYT the first post tells you where to find them in the menus.

Thank you! I appreciate your fast response.

On 5/5/2022 at 8:45 AM, Rick Brewster said:

"Patched" ... in this case, Paint.NET v4.3 changed the way it loads this specific plugin in order to make it compatible with other "under the hood" changes (specifically, the migration/port to .NET 5 and 6). There were no fixes for other things that are effectively broken, like high-DPI support, as that is beyond the scope of what can be achieved at this layer. Getting it to load at all was the achievement here.

I'm having a hard time following this thread, probably because I'm not used to using this forum. Are you saying that recently updated Windows (in my case, Windows 10) won't be able to use this plug-in and less they install the patched version of paint.net?

I ask because as far as I can tell I followed these steps correctly, but I'm not seeing any of the new plug-ins described in the original post. I'm using paint.net 5.0.12 and have .net sdk 7.0.403 installed.

34 minutes ago, tieTYT said:

Are you saying that...

No; that is just background technical commentary. Also, that note is obsolete because it refers to an older version of the plugin.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

14 hours ago, tieTYT said:

I ask because as far as I can tell I followed these steps correctly, but I'm not seeing any of the new plug-ins described in the original post.

In short, the steps are simply:

1. Download the .zip file
2. Unzip it
3. Copy the EdHarvey.Edfects.dll  file to your paint.net Effects folder (the .pdb file that's in the .zip is not needed).

4. Start paint.net

The location of the Effects folder will differ depending on whether you installed the 'Classic' (free) version of paint.net or the Microsoft Store (paid) version. See the paint.net Documentation here https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/index.html  and go to Getting Started -> Installation -> Installing Plugins

To get to the Documentation from within paint.net, you can click the :Help: Help icon at the top right.

Hmm, bit off-topic here, but do we really need the .pdb files? After an update, I always scan through the PDN folders, and remove them. I've not had the men in white coats knocking on the door yet!

Brian

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, BDP said:

do we really need the .pdb files?

I've just searched. You are right!

The .pdb is not needed as it's the Program Database for storing debugging information and is only relevant when debugging a crash.

I'll amend my comment above.