Help - Image won't edit, erase, or move selection!

Hi, I have found Paint.NET to be easier to use than Adobe PhotoShop, but am having a problem editing an image. Here's the situation. I am trying to create my own Moderator image for my web site and have taken samples off another site. But that's not the problem. Here's what happens/happened :

I open the Paint.NET program and then insert the sample moderator image (let's call this: Image A). It then says part of my name but there's another letter I have to add. I move Image A down a bit below the center and leave it there and take out the other letters that I don't need. I then insert another sample moderator image (let's call that: Image B), and add the letter I need to the one below. Well then the eraser tool and move selection tools don't work anymore with Image A below or even Image B above. When I try to move it, it moves nothing but transparent space. The eraser tool doesn't erase anything and of course it doesn't edit anything. Then I saw this checkerboard pattern that came but didn't know what that really means or what to do with it.

Another thing that happened was that I once saved it and it got saved in an unreadable format. Well the second time I did it, I saved it again right away in a readable format. So that problem is taken care of, but has anyone experienced this? I don't know if this has anything to do with multiple images not being useable in this program but any help would be appreciated. What am I doing wrong that is making these images un editable? Is this a bug in Paint.NET and if this is a multiple image issue, then what program can I get that is easy to use to edit multiple images and combine parts of them together? Please answer all my questions. Thank you.

1. Check the layers window (bottom right).

If your import files, the layer selected is still the Background one. *Bug request*

Edit: using Drag & Drop, with the "What to do whis this file?" Dialog.

Layers > Import from file change the layer focus.

2. Pdn file format is the application format, like psd for Photoshop, xcf for Gimp...

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Another thing that happened was that I once saved it and it got saved in an unreadable format. Well the second time I did it, I saved it again right away in a readable format. So that problem is taken care of, but has anyone experienced this? I don't know if this has anything to do with multiple images not being useable in this program but any help would be appreciated. What am I doing wrong that is making these images un editable? Is this a bug in Paint.NET and if this is a multiple image issue, then what program can I get that is easy to use to edit multiple images and combine parts of them together? Please answer all my questions. Thank you.

If you type in your own extension in the filename text box but forget to change the filetype drop-down accordingly, it will encode the file in the format specified in the drop-down but name it with the extension specified in the text box. That can make it uneditable. If you rename the file and change the extesion to the extension you had in the drop-down, it well be editable again.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype