Transparency & png for web doesn't work?

After searching on this forum, i can't get an transparent picture. The picture is a box with rounded corners for my website.

I followed the instructions: i made a layer background with nothing (even with full transparency, the F4 option) and a layer with the rounded box. In both layers i deleted with del the space i didn't need. But ... it doesn't work! I use the picture with the png-fix (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola) for IE.

But, can it work? Yes! I save the picture in Gif and open it with irfanview. There, i store the picture again as a png. Iview asks what the transparent color should be. After saving, the transparency works. But not with paint.net.

What am I doing wrong?

Internet Explorer is bloody potato. It does not [currently] have proper transparent PNG support. This I think will be fixed in IE 7. But I would just reject all IE users and tell them to switch to Firefox.

They don't need to now, IE7, if you like it, is out. That works just fine as a browser. Alas, I didn't like IE7 too much... but then.... I didn't like MusicMatch Jukebox. IE7 will probably be just fine for Jamie McBlagh when she gets a computer.

-Pikl

Photobucket - Blog

Newest Film: Beowulf (Feel free to PM me comments, criticisms)

They don't need to now, IE7, if you like it, is out. That works just fine as a browser.

I haven't tried it myself, so it may qualify as a mere piece of dung now instead of a steaming pile, but it won't work on Win 2000 or 9x, so we ("we" meaning Web Developers. I'm one of 'em.) still have to support IE6.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Since Lenn-art says that the PNG fix was tried, this IS NOT a browser issue. You guys (along with the rest of the Firefox crowd) are just so freaking annoying. You make ridiculous assumptions and expect everything to be spoonfed to you. Lenn-art's problem is not a browser problem, and you should not have turned this thread into an IE-bashing-opportunity.

Now, Lenn-art, I will attempt to offer useful advice.

There are known issues with transparency in the older versions of Paint.Net. Make sure you are upgraded to version 2.6.

If this doesn't work, I'll try to think of something else.

Since Lenn-art says that the PNG fix was tried, this IS NOT a browser issue. You guys (along with the rest of the Firefox crowd) are just so freaking annoying. You make ridiculous assumptions and expect everything to be spoonfed to you. Lenn-art's problem is not a browser problem, and you should not have turned this thread into an IE-bashing-opportunity.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with bashing something that was made for it. You know, like pinatas, bumper cars, bad internet browsers... :wink:

But you are right in that none of our posts were very useful insofar as helping Lenn-art with their original question. For that I apologize.

Lenn-art, could you post your .png? .png transparency does work in 2.6, but SearedIce does have a point in that older versions did have layer composition problems when it came to transparency.

For proof a transparent .png made with PDN version 2.6: buttontrans.png

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I have tried that PNG fix in the past and was not successful. This one... http://www.mongus.net/pngInfo/ is the easiest one that I have ever used (and that works for me). You may want to try that.

Also... you may alternatively try downloading Firefox (just a suggestion) and seeing if it works in that browser. If it does, and not in IE, it is a browser issue. If it doesn't work in Firefox than it is an image issue.