Ereaser problem!

I didn't seek for an answer in the forum but :

I found a prob with the eraser : when ereasing ( size > 1) and doing the undo command (ctrl+z) paint crash !

Here the crash log :

Crash log for Paint.NET v2.6 (Final Release build 2.6.2244.18680)

Time of crash: 2006-03-13 17:13:53

OS version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 Workstation x86

.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.42 x86

Processor count: 1

Physical memory: 503 MB

Exception details:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at PaintDotNet.EraserTool.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.EraserTool.OnDeactivate()

at PaintDotNet.Tool.Deactivate()

at PaintDotNet.DocumentEnvironment.SetTool(Tool copyMe)

at PaintDotNet.HistoryStack.StepBackward()

at PaintDotNet.DocumentWorkspace.historyForm_UndoButtonClicked(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.HistoryForm.OnUndoButtonClicked()

at PaintDotNet.HistoryForm.PerformUndoClick()

at PaintDotNet.MainForm.menuEditUndo_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.ProcessCmdKey(Message& m, Keys keyData)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripManager.ProcessShortcut(Message& m, Keys shortcut)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripManager.ProcessCmdKey(Message& m, Keys keyData)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)

at PaintDotNet.DocumentView.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessMessage(Message& msg)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessControlMessageInternal(Control target, Message& msg)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(\__/) (((

(+'.'+) ( . . )

(") (")( v )

--m-m--

meet Bob n Steve!

It is an intuitive method to cancel what you are currently doing.

Even if it weren't, the problem should be fixed anyway.

Image working on something, and you accidentally press Ctrl-Z before picking up the mouse button...you could lose the work you were working on.

I do agree that this should be fixed as it would just plain suck to lose what you were working on if you did do that.

I just double checked and it seems that the only time pressing Ctrl+Z while still pressing the mousebutton will have any effect is when you're using the Lasso, Magic Wand, and the Magnifying Glass. If using any other tool and you press Ctrl+Z while you still have the mousebutton pressed nothing happens (other than the pointed out bug above). It doesn't even "undo" what you just did.

I found another interesting bug while using the magnifying glass. If you have any part of the image selected from using the Rectangle or Ellipse Select tool and switch to the magnifying glass and click and drag to zoom in... if you press Ctrl+Z before you let go of the mousebutton the entire image gets cloudy and the outline of the area you were going to zoom in on stays visible. This can not be undone. Even if you create a new image or open a new image it still stays cloudy. The only way to get rid of it is to shut down Paint.NET.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but it is new to me.

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Whack, yo! <_<

Yeah, I get that too, BuzzKill. IT looks like the Magnifying Glass doesn't remove it's stuff from the canvas decoration if you back out before it hits the end of its function...

(I'm just making stuff up. I'm no programmer... <_<)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Wow, lots of responses in such a short time.

Anyway I've filed a bug! We're planning to release v2.61 at the end of the month, complete with a few select bug fixes and a finished German help file. I think this crash meets the bar to be included (as in, it is critical enough to not postpone the fix).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Whack, yo! <_>

Yeah, I get that too, BuzzKill. IT looks like the Magnifying Glass doesn't remove it's stuff from the canvas decoration if you back out before it hits the end of its function...

(I'm just making stuff up. I'm no programmer... <_>

That's pretty much exactly what's happening. To be specific, the haze renderer is not being removed.

this.Renderers.Remove(this.outlineRenderer);
this.outlineRenderer.Dispose();
this.outlineRenderer = null;

The question is why that block of code is being skipped when you press Ctrl+Z. That code above is supposed to be executed when the tool is deactivated, which should happen when you hit Ctrl+Z. (For sanity purposes, for almost all history actions, we deactivate the current tool, throw it away, perform the undo/redo, and then recreate the tool and activate it. That way there's literally no chance that the history action and the tool's state can interfere with each other, nor do the tools have to be written to handle interruption.)

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Well I guess that where there's smoke, there's fire. Uncovered two more bugs: same Ctrl+Z crash with the Recolor tool, and then some rendering problems with the Clone Stamp when doing Ctrl+Z while drawing.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Here's a ZIP file containing a new PaintDotNet.exe that fixes these bugs (including the "lingering zoom haze" as reported by BuzzKill):

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/misc/ ... 060313.zip

Extract the ZIP to where you installed Paint.NET, and you should no longer get those crashes. Your title bar and About Box will report Paint.NET v2.61, but don't read into that too much.

One thing to watch out for, however, is that your startup performance will not be as good after applying this patch. This is because the PaintDotNet.exe has not been precompiled and must be JIT'd on the fly. In order to fix this, run the following from Start->Run or from a command line:

32-bit (most people)

%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "c:\program files\paint.net\paintdotnet.exe"

64-bit (you know who you are)

%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "c:\program files\paint.net\paintdotnet.exe"

If you're not sure if you're on 32-bit or 64-bit, run both of those. It won't hurt anything. If you installed to a directory other than c:\program files\paint.net, substitute the appropriate directory above.

When running those commands you should see a bunch of CPU and disk activity and some very technical, esoteric text fly by in a command-prompt window.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

WOW so nice !! (sry if i didnt respond to your answer i didnt recevied email notification ...) I found a bug !!! lol ... thanks for the .zip

and btw paint.net is so nice !! :D:D

(\__/) (((

(+'.'+) ( . . )

(") (")( v )

--m-m--

meet Bob n Steve!